iPhone Not Under Contract Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
I enjoy my iPhone, iPods, and MacBook Pro - but I am not "into" the technology side of all of this. As long as it works I enjoy it but I don't need to understand all of it so that's the basis of this really dumb question.
I currently have an iPhone 3Gs purchased from an ATT store in the US, with a two year contract for the voice and data plan. This cost me about $80. a month. With financial issues becoming more prominent in the current recession I am cutting cost in many areas. When my contract expires at the end of two years can I use my iPhone 3Gs for voice only - no data plan so I no longer have web surfing or e-mail. Does ATT allow that currently? I like the iTunes on this phone, the photographs, and a lot more but I need to have a less costly plan.
I hope this question made sense. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You mean after your AT&T contract expires, to just use the iPhone as an ordinary cell phone without a data plan? If so...

You will need to contact AT&T and ask because even after it expires they will continue to bill you based on your previous contract. In other words, you'll have to let them know you no longer want the data services and would like to be billed based on minutes. I'm not sure if they will require you to enter into another contract or not.

As for the iPhone, even without AT&T data services, you can still use it as a wifi device at free areas such as Starbucks and public libraries.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Another option would be to go on the prepaid plan, that way you're not signing a new contract. Just be sure to disable all data features on the phone otherwise you're gonna rack up a big bill.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I thought I remembered someone a while back on here saying that ,you had to have a data plan with the iPhone at all times on At&t. The other option would be to unlock it and use it on T-mobile if your just going to use it as a phone with no data.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I thought I remembered someone a while back on here saying that ,you had to have a data plan with the iPhone at all times on At&t. The other option would be to unlock it and use it on T-mobile if your just going to use it as a phone with no data.

When I first responded to the OP, I thought the same. However, I couldn't find anything on the AT&T site nor their contracts section that stated that. It may be one of those "fine print" things. You make a good point because I know my current carrier (T-Mobile) restricts certain phones they sell to be used with a data plan. IOW a data plan is required or the phone won't authorize.

It's probably best for the OP to contact AT&T customer service and ask.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
When i got mine i did not get a Data plan and just swapped in the SIM card out of the Nokia. All was well until i went to OS 4 and then Vodaphone sent me a bill for Data Usage. After much intense discussion it seems the default in the update automatically puts the phone on a Data Plan. Something to be aware of.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's good to know. Thanks Collin. The way AT&T does things here in the US it's probably going to be the same. It's all about the $$.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
On AT&T's website here in the US you are required to have a data plan with the iPhones. At least this is required for new iPhone users but I would think it would be the same for people with expired plans.

This is one of the reasons why I have yet to get an iPhone. I wouldn't use the data plan that often and would prefer a pay as you go plan or a cheaper less data per month limit plan.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.