• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Linux Recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4ghz SR, 256m 8600gt, 640gb HD, 3gb RAM
OK, so I got YellowDog up and running on my iBOok and I'm hooked.
Now I want it on my Dell CPi Pentium II laptop, anybody have any recommendations for a version of Linux that will run on x86 platforms?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
gntu works, but what i hear its a very long install to install it on the whole thing, just make sure you get the right one for your exact proccessor there are many kinds.

Reaction score
I just installed Ubuntu Linux on my Toshiba Satellite.
It is Debian based and very easy to install.
Auto detects and configured all my hardware without any issues at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
Almost every version of Linux will run on x86. I'm not sure of your exact system specs, but just like OS X, most Linux distros are recent releases, and as such you need to be mindful of what will run well on your hardware. How much RAM does it have? That would be the most important aspect as KDE and Gnome (2 popular desktop environments) are pretty memory hungry beasts.

For my older hardware I have had luck with VectorLinux. It is specifically designed for older hardware. Depending on your specs, I have also had good luck with Fedora (free spin-off of the RedHat distro) and, although still (i think) technically in beta, Ubuntu. I haven't been checking with the Linux community lately, since I got the Mac and OS X is unix based.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
if you like YDL then try Fedora Core as YDL was based on that or if you want to go KDE then try Mandriva (gah Mandrake is still a better name!) or SuSe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.