Apple Mail is driving me nuts.

Reaction score
I have recently bought myself an iMAC27 which I like very much.
The problem I am having is with the Mail program which I have set up for a gmail account.

I delete the old emails that I no longer require, but they keep coming back again when I check for new emails, albeit in a different folder (Google All Mail).

Why is this and what can I do to stop it from happening?

Please keep the answers easy to follow, as I am new to using this.

C

chas_m

Chances are the answer is because you have Google set up NOT to delete emails, so it retains them on its server.

The first thing you should look at is your setup in Mail. Is Google set as POP or IMAP (it should be the latter)?

If it's set up as IMAP, check Mail's preferences under Accounts -> Mailbox Behaviours and make sure that "Store deleted messages on the server" is NOT checked.

If that's not the problem, you probably just need to visit GMail's web page and set the preferences there to reflect how you use Mail. Once that's done, mail deleted or moved from your inbox in Mail should be moved or deleted from GMail.

OP
N
Reaction score
Chances are the answer is because you have Google set up NOT to delete emails, so it retains them on its server.

The first thing you should look at is your setup in Mail. Is Google set as POP or IMAP (it should be the latter)?

If it's set up as IMAP, check Mail's preferences under Accounts -> Mailbox Behaviours and make sure that "Store deleted messages on the server" is NOT checked.

If that's not the problem, you probably just need to visit GMail's web page and set the preferences there to reflect how you use Mail. Once that's done, mail deleted or moved from your inbox in Mail should be moved or deleted from GMail.
Thanks for the advice. I changed the settings as you have suggested, so fingers crossed. :)

Just another thing and another topic concerning security. I enabled the Firewall and disabled automatic log in after I first used my iMac, so a password is required.
I also installed PC-Tools iAnti-Virus Free Edition. I am not sure if the latter is necessary. However, it doesn't seem to do any harm and is set to do a quick scan once a week which takes around 5-6 seconds. Have I done the right thing by doing this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
The only reason you need anti-virus software on a mac is to prevent you from sending any possible infected files via email (unknowingly). Mac OS X doesn't have any viruses in the wild so in theory it doesn't really effect you or your computer. It just ensures you don't pass any viruses, spyware etc onto anybody else.

Whether thats the right thing to do is down to personal preference. I don't feel its needed, if you do send something dangerous via email then its up to the recipient to have anti-virus software (or get a mac) lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I think this is only part of the answer.

Google Mail is a little weird in that respect. "Deleting" a message in Gmail only removes all labels from it, so it is archived in your "All mail" folder – part of their whole "never delete again" idea.

To truly delete, you have to move a message to the Gmail trash folder, which is emptied after 30 days. Depending on how you have set up Mail, deleting will either remove all labels (-> archiving the message in All Mail), or move it to the Gmail trash folder (true delete).

Check the google mail help for proper Mail imap setup instructions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.