Workflow question re daisy-chaining

Reaction score
I just got my new iMac and finished migrating everything over from my Macbook. The MB's old 'dedicated' 640Gb FW400 external drive is now daisy chained to a new FW800 1Tb drive, connected to the iMac. It works amazingly well, in fact I swear the mac is copying from the 640 drive at twice the rate it used to with the MB... anyway...

The question is: for day-to-day backing up of the MB (I use this on location to dl RAW files from a camera) is it ok to daisy-chain the MB to the end of the FW chain? I know people do this without issue, but I'm just not sure it's better (ie safer, more reliable) on a daily basis than ethernet, for example, or if I'd be well advised to unplug the ext drive from the chain first.

Any opinions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
Reliability in this situation depends on the reliability of the external drives. It should work fine, but only time will tell.

I would think that using an Airport connection would be easier... but that of course depends on if you even have a wireless connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I have daisy chained iMac > FW HD > Mac running in target mode so see no reason why that could not be done with the MacBook in Target mode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.