PDA

View Full Version : What Are These For...

warriorsoul7
05-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Hi, Got my new Imac, in the box i have 2 grey DVD's one says

Mac OS X Install DVD

one says

Applications Install DVD

Might be a daft question but what are they for, The operating system was already installed when i turned the machine on.

Chef_eam
05-12-2010, 06:24 PM
They are your system restore disks. Apple, unlike Windows PC manufacturers, Apple actually gives you the disks instead of taking up a large portion of your hard drive with the image and making you spend time and more money to burn your own disks (that include all the useless bloatware that they install).

warriorsoul7
05-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Cool, Thankyou.

So if i want to put it back to how i bought it i would just re install both disc.

harryb2448
05-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Yes and keep them handy. Disc one contains Apple Hardware test, a pretty nifty trouble diagnosing tool. When it comes time to sell the machine, pass these discs on with it.

toMACsh
05-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Most people put those discs to use as follows:
Set them aside, as the OS and applications are already installed.
Pile stuff on top of them, next to other piles on the table/desk, floor, etc.
Move the piles out of the way to do a project.
Move the piles back when the project is done.
Shift the piles around when looking for something.
Clear the piles off the desk/table, floor, sofa, recliner, etc. and stick them in a corner.
Get totally disgusted with the mess, and throw it all away.
Later...
There's a problem, that the cat created of course, not moi, and I need to reinstall the OS.
Now, where is that disc?

bobtomay
05-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Clear the piles off the desk/table, floor, sofa, recliner, etc. and stick them in a corner.
Later...
There's a problem, that the cat created of course, not moi, and I need to reinstall the OS.
Now, where is that disc?

My wife. She didn't want me to put the discs with all my software when she got her Mac. We haven't seen her discs since that week, now almost 3 years ago.

roeiboot
05-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Later...
Now, where is that disc?

quite detailed, must have happened to you :]

harryb2448
05-13-2010, 01:13 AM
Or even worse folks sell 'em on eBay and such to recover some of their outlay and/or loan them to 'friends'. Do not lend money, spouses nor system install discs!

TechieJustin
05-13-2010, 01:53 AM
Later...
Now, where is that disc?

That sounds about right.

The same people who cock their head to one side when you ask where their original discs are are the same people who have the tickets to the homecoming game from '81 where they met their future husband. They managed to save each and every report card from first grade, but where are the reinstall discs?

TechieJustin
05-13-2010, 01:55 AM
Or even worse folks sell 'em on eBay and such to recover some of their outlay and/or loan them to 'friends'. Do not lend money, spouses nor system install discs!

The first thing I did was copy both DVDs - which I carry with me at all times in case I need to reinstall on the road.

which brings me to my question... is there a brand of DVD-R and RW Apples tend to like? I know they're fussier than PCs regarding the media.

toMACsh
05-13-2010, 09:29 AM
quite detailed, must have happened to you :]Nope. My discs stay in the top drawer of my computer desk until the computer dies or the software is upgraded.

My wife. She didn't want me to put the discs with all my software when she got her Mac. We haven't seen her discs since that week, now almost 3 years ago. Shhh! You weren't supposed to tell us that. :Lips-Are-Sealed:

the8thark
05-13-2010, 10:07 AM
My wife. She didn't want me to put the discs with all my software when she got her Mac. We haven't seen her discs since that week, now almost 3 years ago.

Nobody moved any discs. The dog ate them. Yes that's right, it's all the dog's fault :).