• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone else excited about Steam Tomorrow

Reaction score
Steam releases tomorrow anyone else excited.
Im believe my mac should run it good. 13" June 09 model right befor they made the whole pro switch ;)
I mean if my 3 year old AMD FX 2 box can play some L4D2 this thing should too :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4gb | 16gb white iPhone 3Gs | MacBook 2.1GHz, 1gb | 40gb AppleTV |
Yea, I'm looking forward to it. I hope it's not buggy or slow for the downloads.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Can't wait. I own most of the games being released, so it will be interesting to compare the performance running natively on Mac OS and natively on Windows on the same hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I sure am. I hope I still have my Half Life 2 discs and code around still. From what I understand, you can get the Mac versions of their games at no charge if you have a Windows version already.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I sure am. I hope I still have my Half Life 2 discs and code around still. From what I understand, you can get the Mac versions of their games at no charge if you have a Windows version already.

You won't even need them. You had to have signed up for a Steam account when you installed it the first time. So, all you'll need to do is sign in and download the game. Should be a cinch.

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
The only thing I wonder is when L4D2 will be coming, I would love to compare this game to my current Win7 Rig

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You won't even need them. You had to have signed up for a Steam account when you installed it the first time. So, all you'll need to do is sign in and download the game. Should be a cinch.

Ah… but if only I remembered what my login was. :Oops: Well I should be able to recover it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yea, I'm looking forward to it. I hope it's not buggy or slow for the downloads.
Now that the release date is upon us, I think I can mention some of the beta details:

Steam for Mac is pretty solid. There still occasional glitches here and there, but it's quite impressive. Not terribly "mac-like", but I honestly don't really care – just porting everything must have been time-consuming enough.

Performance feels a little better under Windows, but that will probably improve over time as well...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I may have a new use for the heat sink (MBP) on my lap again. Time to pull out the ole lap stand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I wonder when exactly they are gonna make it avail for download? I stopped by Steams website and didn't see anything yet... (guess I was hoping for a midnight release so by the time I woke up it'd be ready for me to get :( )

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I heard Portal and Torchlight are coming on Wednesday while following Wednesdays will include more games. I'm sure that's not the whole list but it's a start (more here). Does anyone have a more comprehensive list?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sweet, I purchased TL a while back and enjoy it so I'm looking forward to that!

With this new development guess I won't need to re-up my crossover purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not yet, I've checked back several times today but no news yet. Kinda wish they would just announce and release it already! I'd love to be able to start getting a few of my games when I run home for lunch, but it's not looking like that's gonna be the case :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Not yet, I've checked back several times today but no news yet. Kinda wish they would just announce and release it already! I'd love to be able to start getting a few of my games when I run home for lunch, but it's not looking like that's gonna be the case :(

Vansmith hit the nail on the head. Only Portal and Torchlight available this week(correction - see below). More titles next Wednesday but no disclosure as to what.

L4D2 would be nice . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to mention - I read thru a portion of the thread on steam for Mac - they do have a link in there for the .dmg that has steam for download - I heard this morning it didn't work, but that it is working now (it's the beta client I hear, but it updates, and after a while at the login, it lets you in) - I can't confirm this tho as I'm at work :(

This was the thread post:

Steam Users' Forums - View Single Post - Mac OS X Discussion Thread

I noticed that the mentioning of it starting to actually work came around page 467-469 in the thread that this link is out of.

Use at your own risk, as I said, I HAVE NOT tested this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's live and released!
Welcome to Steam

60 Games, mostly fillers so far but Civ IV, Portal, Football Manager 2010, Torchlight lead the list.

edit: oh, and if you don't have it . . .Portal is free until May 24th !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.