PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered MBP

bluevision
05-11-2010, 05:29 AM
Hello all,

I am new here and looking for some assistance - Tech Advice, cool apple information sites, and or anything else.

I was a PC user for the last 16 years. Well I am tired of all the issues PC (Windows) have created. So yesterday I did it, you know, ordered a MBP with 13.3" - MC374LL/A.

Please post any information that will help me come out the gate strong when my MBP arrives.

Thanks, and I hope I will fit right into, the Apple (MAC) family.

pigoo3
05-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Don't spill beverages on your laptop...we hear this happening way too often!:(

- Nick

the8thark
05-11-2010, 10:52 AM
I second the above. Keep liquids (and people with liquids) well away from your notebook. And you should be fine. And congrats on the purchase.

The_Pro
05-11-2010, 06:46 PM
ONCE YOU GO MAC, YOU NEVER GO BACK!!!!! :D

as you where a windows user you may find mac osx complicated at first, BUT it actually **** easy, don't complain bout it being complicated (i here this all the time from windows users) you will get used to it very quickly and then you will LOVE it!!

Congrats man

alexsd123
05-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Don't bother with antivirus programs.

TheGreatApple
05-15-2010, 02:53 AM
You are going to have one fun time mate! Congrats!

FiosFiend
05-15-2010, 11:33 PM
ONCE YOU GO MAC, YOU NEVER GO BACK!!!!! :D

I second this. I went Mac just last year and every single day that I use it, I realize what computing should be. I haven't had a single moment of frustration with my Mac the way I did with virtually every windows machine I've ever used.

There is a learning curve, but once you get used to the Mac you understand why Mac users are so passionate about their computers.

bluevision
05-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Thanks all for your replies. This is great it looks like the Mac family really looks out for one another. I have just a few more days and I will receive my MBP. Believe me, I am sure to be asking a lot of question. Also, I am so excited to see what all you are already experiencing.

Pigoo3, I will be sure not to spill beverages on my new MBP, thanks.

the8thark, for sure I will keep other people with liquids away, thanks

The Pro, I will be sure not to complain about my MBP being complicated. I might need some assistance. Is this OS really that easy to learn?

alexsd123, are you sure I don't need any antivirus programs? I think I should protect my investment.

TheGreatApple, thanks for the link!

FiosFiend, wow-is the MBP experience really that great.

the8thark
05-16-2010, 01:16 AM
To bluevision:

I would read the post I made here (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/201552-need-help-switching-mac-pc.html#post1050181).
That has a lot of good information for people new to the Mac as you are. Sure it's written to someone else's question but the info there I think would help any switcher/new people to the Mac.

And it is Mac (short for Macintosh) and not MAC. MAC is a totally different thing. People here can be pretty anal on this point. Just letting you know :).

toMACsh
05-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Put your OS installation disc(s) in a secure place that you will remember. You will need them someday!

FiosFiend
05-16-2010, 04:36 PM
FiosFiend, wow-is the MBP experience really that great.

Well I can only speak for my personal experience. Yes, it's really been "that great". Everything I've done on the Mac has been easier than on a windows machine. I haven't had 100% problem free computing, but even when there is a little snafu it's not a major ordeal. For example, I've had browser crashes but on a Mac when your browser crashes it doesn't bring your whole system down the way it tends to on a windows machine.

On the Mac if you have a problem that really needs support, you call one number and you get a knowledgeable Mac expert on the phone (in the US) that isn't reading from a script. They will walk you all the way through getting the problem resolved start to finish and they won't blame it on someone else. I had to call Apple Help once because of a blue tooth issue. It was actually a pleasant experience.

So far I haven't found anything that I could do on a windows machine that I can't do on the Mac. The only thing that has really come up is that my portable scanner that I used on my previous windows laptop doesn't have Mac drivers for it. Other than that I've not had any real problems at all.

One other thing. Get yourself a new (if you don't have one) portable external drive to use as a Time Machine backup disk. Time Machine, ROCKS. This is the by far the best back up solution for your everyday backup needs of anything I've ever seen. I don't use mobile me but Time Machine is fantastic. All you have to do is set it up once then plug in your designated Time Machine disk and it does the rest, no muss no fuss.

bluevision
05-16-2010, 11:59 PM
To bluevision:

I would read the post I made here (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/201552-need-help-switching-mac-pc.html#post1050181).
That has a lot of good information for people new to the Mac as you are. Sure it's written to someone else's question but the info there I think would help any switcher/new people to the Mac.

And it is Mac (short for Macintosh) and not MAC. MAC is a totally different thing. People here can be pretty anal on this point. Just letting you know :).

I will keep the MAC, Mac difference in mind when posting - My badO:).

bluevision
05-17-2010, 12:01 AM
Put your OS installation disc(s) in a secure place that you will remember. You will need them someday!

I will be sure to do this! Thanks!

bluevision
05-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Well I can only speak for my personal experience. Yes, it's really been "that great". Everything I've done on the Mac has been easier than on a windows machine. I haven't had 100% problem free computing, but even when there is a little snafu it's not a major ordeal. For example, I've had browser crashes but on a Mac when your browser crashes it doesn't bring your whole system down the way it tends to on a windows machine.

On the Mac if you have a problem that really needs support, you call one number and you get a knowledgeable Mac expert on the phone (in the US) that isn't reading from a script. They will walk you all the way through getting the problem resolved start to finish and they won't blame it on someone else. I had to call Apple Help once because of a blue tooth issue. It was actually a pleasant experience.

So far I haven't found anything that I could do on a windows machine that I can't do on the Mac. The only thing that has really come up is that my portable scanner that I used on my previous windows laptop doesn't have Mac drivers for it. Other than that I've not had any real problems at all.

One other thing. Get yourself a new (if you don't have one) portable external drive to use as a Time Machine backup disk. Time Machine, ROCKS. This is the by far the best back up solution for your everyday backup needs of anything I've ever seen. I don't use mobile me but Time Machine is fantastic. All you have to do is set it up once then plug in your designated Time Machine disk and it does the rest, no muss no fuss.

You sure do make the Mac experience sound so awesome! My MBP can not come soon enough!

bluevision
05-17-2010, 12:08 AM
To bluevision:

I will be sure to utilize this advice in my future posts.

bluevision
05-18-2010, 11:26 AM
WOW, this Mac is so awesome - Just installed Office 2008 and ready to do some more exploring. I will keep you guys updated.:D

Bluevision

bluevision
05-19-2010, 12:25 AM
On my old PC when I wanted to lock my system on demand I would press the windows key + L. I am having a little trouble finding the shortcut on locking down may new awesome MBP. If any one knows how to use the shortcut or maybe there is a way to put a lock button on my menu bar or desktop please advise. Thanks.:Oops:

bluevision
05-19-2010, 12:27 AM
This MBP is so smooth I wish I would have switched much earlier in life!!!!:D:D:D

DRMac
05-19-2010, 12:39 AM
On my old PC when I wanted to lock my system on demand I would press the windows key + L. I am having a little trouble finding the shortcut on locking down may new awesome MBP. If any one knows how to use the shortcut or maybe there is a way to put a lock button on my menu bar or desktop please advise. Thanks.:Oops:

hey,

do get a "lock screen like on windows try this method:

All you need to know is the Shift+Ctrl+Eject shortcut. By default,
this shortcut simply sleeps your display; wiggle your mouse to wake
it up. That's nice to know, but it's not much of a lock. The solution:

(click the apple logo then click system preferences) Under System Preferences → Security → General, check ‘Require password
after sleep or screensaver begins'. This has the advantage of working
perfectly with the keyboard combo to switch off your display.

bluevision
05-19-2010, 03:57 AM
DRMac,

Thanks worked like a charm!

FiosFiend
05-19-2010, 01:48 PM
I'll give you another little short cut that I found and LOVED and use all the time. I need to often grab small screen prints, but not the entire screen. For my work I need to just grab a small piece of the screen. On my windows machine I had to have third party software like Snagit in order to do this. On the Mac it's built in, just hit Command + Shift + 4. You'll get a crosshair with a bullseye. Just drag that over the area you want and it drops a jpg on your desktop. If you want the full screen then hit Command + shift +3.

bluevision
05-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Fiosfiend, that shortcut was awesome!!!

All, please keep the shortcuts coming. I am a keyboard person, so please don't keep all Mac keyboard shortcuts to yourself (LOL). I am beginning to really love this Macworld I am in!!!!!!!!!! Mac is awesome!!!!!!!!

benparko
05-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Hey,

You may want to look at some of these Mac Tutorial videos:

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics (http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/)

And here are a list of Mac shortcuts:

Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343)

All the best,

-Ben

bluevision
05-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Ben, thanks!

bluevision
05-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Hello again, I just want to say it again, my MBP is so awesome! I have finally switched all my data over to my MBP, yes!

Ok back to my question. I have a number of videos that will not play on my MBP. I would like to know before I purchase Quick Time Pro 7; is there a better music/video converter out there compatible with my MBP (intel)? Please advise.

benparko
05-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Ok back to my question. I have a number of videos that will not play on my MBP. I would like to know before I purchase Quick Time Pro 7; is there a better music/video converter out there compatible with my MBP (intel)? Please advise.

Well what formats are you trying to play? VLC pretty much plays anything. And Flip4Mac will play .WMV files. A bit more info would help...

-Ben

bluevision
05-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Well what formats are you trying to play? VLC pretty much plays anything. And Flip4Mac will play .WMV files. A bit more info would help...

-Ben

The formats I currently have are .WMV and (i think) .AVI but my main question is not so much to play but convert to MP3 or MP4. See I have a 64GB iPod touch as well and would like to transfer videos back an forth from there too.

FiosFiend
05-20-2010, 10:09 AM
VLC is what you want. It plays pretty much anything that quicktime or WMP will. Give it a try.

VLC media player for Mac OS X (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html)

And for converting to ipod you'll need Handbrake.

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

bluevision
05-20-2010, 10:30 AM
VLC is what you want. It plays pretty much anything that quicktime or WMP will. Give it a try.

VLC media player for Mac OS X (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html)

And for converting to ipod you'll need Handbrake.

HandBrake (http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php)

Ok, cool!

I have another question - on handbrake it asks for 32bit or 64bit. Where in the OSX 10.6 can I locate this information?

RavingMac
05-20-2010, 11:27 AM
You need the 32bit version of HandBrake. The last time I checked the 64bit version of VLC wasn't available (been a week so may have changed).
Bottomline 64bit HandBrake won't work with 32bit VLC.

FiosFiend
05-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Yes, sorry should have mentioned that. You need to get the 32 bit versions of both.

bluevision
05-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Razormac/Fiosfiend,

Thanks for all your support!

castrosebo
05-21-2010, 02:23 AM
After reading this thread, i have just made up my mind to go and buy my MBP. Can't wait

bluevision
05-21-2010, 07:13 AM
After reading this thread, i have just made up my mind to go and buy my MBP. Can't wait

You will not regret that move.

bluevision
05-22-2010, 02:56 PM
If at all possible can someone explain how to uninstall programs in OSX 10.6. :Oops:

RavingMac
05-22-2010, 05:35 PM
As far as I know there are 3 basic ways to remove/uninstall programs.

1) The simplest is to drag the program icon from the folder it was installed in (usually Applications) to the trash. I understand this can sometimes leave files and garbage behind. BTW: Dragging from the dock only removes the desktop shortcut.

2) Is to use the uninstall app that came with your software (if there was one)

3) Is to use a 3rd party package like Appdelete. Haven't used it so don't have a recommendation there one way or another.

Hope this helps.

toMACsh
05-22-2010, 05:40 PM
6 Best Ways To Delete Applications On Your Mac | Mac App Reviews | Mac360 (http://mac360.com/index.php/mac360/comments/6_best_ways_to_delete_applications_on_your_mac/)

A simple search with Yahoo! does wonders!

FiosFiend
05-23-2010, 03:50 PM
I use a free program called AppCleaner.

AppCleaner (http://www.freemacsoft.net/AppCleaner/)

Just open it up, drag your application from the application folder to the AppCleaner window an Voila.

CrimsonRequiem
05-23-2010, 04:08 PM
I like AppZapper. There's just something about the sound of lasers going off...>_>"