• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Rumour New Macbook Airs could be comming soon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
I never was impressed by the crap book.
But let's see where it goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I never was impressed by the crap book.
But let's see where it goes.

I couldn't agree more, They feel cheap and flimsy the hinges on them remind me of the old hinge crisis of the titanium powerbooks. At this point in time do you really need a Macbook Air with the release of the iPad?

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Oh I think the opposite actually. I thought the Macbook Air was really good. The one bad thing about it was the price. A computer with Macbook-like features for a mid to high end Macbook Pro price. That's what killed it for me the price.

And now with the ipad out, I see even less need for the Macbook Air to even exist anymore. I hopw Apple do a lot with this new Macbook Air or just remove it from their lineup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Oh I think the opposite actually. I thought the Macbook Air was really good. The one bad thing about it was the price. A computer with Macbook-like features for a mid to high end Macbook Pro price. That's what killed it for me the price.

And now with the ipad out, I see even less need for the Macbook Air to even exist anymore. I hopw Apple do a lit with this new Macbook Air or just remove it from their lineup.

I think the price and crippled hardware have always been the problem with the Macbook Air. I think they were over $3000 USD when they were first released and they only came with 2GB RAM 60 or 80gb HD 1.6Ghz

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The MBP has the "new" tag on it in the Apple online store. So is that an old product refresh there or is there a new MBP out? I didn't see anything different there but maybe someone else here might know why this is.

Reaction score
The MBP has the "new" tag on it in the Apple online store. So is that an old product refresh there or is there a new MBP out? I didn't see anything different there but maybe someone else here might know why this is.

I think that is the old refresh. I can't find anything new on the MBP's specs.

Darn, no "new" tag on the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Price had more than anything to do with lower than expected sales of the MBA.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Oh I think the opposite actually. I thought the Macbook Air was really good. The one bad thing about it was the price.

Exactly my opinion. The MacBook Air has always been a bad value when you do a hardware comparison with other Mac laptops. A better price would make the MacBook Air more attractive.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
You guys have it right. I also think that the MacBook Air would have sold in higher numbers if it weren't for the price. A lot of people couldn't use it as their main computer because it was under powered but it was too costly to be bought as a second computer for most people.

That left only people who wanted ultra light portability above all else and were willing to pay the price penalty. The 13" was portable for most people without the drastic performance penalty. I'm curious to see how Apple is going to update the MacBook Air.

Reaction score
I see it totally different. There's virtually no need for the iPad but a MacBook Air with touch screen and a reversible screen that turns it into a tablet that could also run iPhone apps would have been perfect. That's exactly what I want. Not a $800 iPod Touch XL that can't even run Flash.

And yes I've read Jobs' diatribe against Flash. That doesn't change the fact that 99.9999999% of browser games are written in Flash.

---

But you guys are dead on when you say the Air was too expensive for the power it had. It's too underpowered to use as a main laptop and it's too expensive to have as a second laptop. At least for me. For the person that's only doing word processing, spreadsheets, and emails it was probably perfect.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a $800 iPod Touch XL that can't even run Flash.
Read this
Thoughts on Flash
And anyone with more them one brain cell in their head will understand 3 things from that.
1. That is brilliantly written.
2. That having flash on today's mobile device is not a good thing. So can't even run flash is a good thing. It's just the same as this statement "Can't even run viruses". Another good thing.
3. That you missed the point when you read it the first time and obviously need to read it again to really understand it.

And yes I've read Jobs' diatribe against Flash. That doesn't change the fact that 99.9999999% of browser games are written in Flash.
And 99.9999999% of those online flash games are not worth your time. Sure a few of the facebook ones are good, I even play them. But with all the games on the app store, a lot of which are really good, you don't need the flash browser games.

But you guys are dead on when you say the Air was too expensive for the power it had. It's too underpowered to use as a main laptop and it's too expensive to have as a second laptop.
I agree 100%. :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook5,2, iPad 16 gb, iPhone 3GS 32 gb, Iphone 4
it would be cool if they basically came out with an Ipad running mac os X, and called it a macbook air

Reaction score
And anyone with more them one brain cell in their head will understand 3 things from that.
2. That having flash on today's mobile device is not a good thing. So can't even run flash is a good thing. It's just the same as this statement "Can't even run viruses". Another good thing.
3. That you missed the point when you read it the first time and obviously need to read it again to really understand it.

That response is so full of logical fallacies I just have to point them all out.

0. Ad hominem - Anyone that doesn't agree must be an idiot.
1. Appeal to authority - Since it's written by a smart person it must be right.
2.0 Begging the question - Since Flash is bad (an assumption) then having flash must be bad.
2.5 Non Sequitur - Viruses are bad so running Flash would be bad.
3. Ad hominem again - If you are too stupid to understand why I'm right then you should reread the information.

And 99.9999999% of those online flash games are not worth your time.

More fail...
Proof by Opinion as Fact - It is my opinion that all flash games are not worth my time therefore they are not anyone's time.

Sounds like someone needs to use a little more logic when coming to their conclusions.

Reaction score
Read this
Thoughts on Flash

Jobs can argue that Flash is bad until he's blue in the face, the fact remains that a LOT of websites out there use flash and it's very frustrating to not be able to access them on an iPod/iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Might take note a lot of websites that were using flash have made adoptions its very simple if you want to get your advertising out get in line with the future.

Reaction score
Might take note a lot of websites that were using flash have made adoptions its very simple if you want to get your advertising out get in line with the future.

Actually most advertisers AREN'T out in the front. They don't want to waste money on ads that won't be seen. Might want to think about that a bit more. As much as Jobs hates Flash it's still out there and it's still a major force. Not having Flash on the iPad was the deal breaker for me. Clearly it wasn't for over a million other people though so at least someone agrees with him.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fair enough.
Just remember actually having flash on the ipad would have been a deal breaker for a lot of people too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fair enough.
Just remember actually having flash on the ipad would have been a deal breaker for a lot of people too.

I agree completely.

Reaction score
On the subject of advertisers

YouTube may not advertise, however, considering that it is owned by Google, and that Google has an ad service, case in point, Google has YouTube running an HTML5 "use it if you want" service, which works perfectly fine and has a few extras not found in the regular flash-based service.

I will truthfully add that if a user uses the HTML5 service, the website runs glitchy a little bit, but the videos run smoothly, and nearly instantly load. I just really can't say that with flash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.