• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

illegal or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yes it is illegal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
yeah but everyone dose it including me.....
someone's at the door.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
its still illegal, just like downloading the music, if you wanna watch music videos, ITMS has them free to watch as much as you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i never thought of a music video being an illegal download but yea i guess it is...good question
-chris

K

Kokopelli

Under U.S. copyright law, yes it is illegal. Under most of the European Union it is also illegal to my understanding. I can not speak for elsewhere.

D

dlisle20

its a bit scabby how they make you pay for it - i would jut download it for free - who's gunnu catch ya anyways? i don't see anything wrong about downloading music videos :confused:

K

Kokopelli

dlisle20 said:
its a bit scabby how they make you pay for it - i would jut download it for free - who's gunnu catch ya anyways? i don't see anything wrong about downloading music videos :confused:

Yours is a common opinion, that does not make it legal however. The simple fact is that the owners of the video do not want you to copy it without permission. Since quite a bit of effort and probably a not insignificant amount of money went into the making of the video I would argue that it is not unreasonable that they be given the option as to how they would like to see the video distributed.

(NOTE: There are exceptions, some videos out there are licensed for redistribution. They are just a tiny minority of the whole.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
definitely illegal but growing yearly.

i partake in both legal and non-legal sharing on the web :batman:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
It is illegall but I don't think downloading the entire show of trl is illegal because you have all the comercials, its like having somebody tape the show for you, somebody correct me if i am long, don't have business law until next year.

E

Ey3 D

Well first of all, use Limewire, not Acquisition. Tried both and Limewire is much better performance altogether. It is illegal, but you have like a 1% chance of getting caught with a Mac. I mean if there isn't even a single virus that effects the Mac OS X system so far. :mac:
My friends have PCs :bomb: and they P2P all the time and they have a huge cahnce of getting caught. Any one of those litlle pop-ups/ viruses could scan your hardrive and find your illegal stuff. :alien:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
correct you if you are long?lol.
when did we start talking about shows? downloading or illegally obtaining a season of a tv series is illegal, and IMO far outweighs the value of a music video, the end is the same, it is illegal, don't do it. again, if you want a music video that badly, ITMS has music videos you can watch as much as you want, there's also tv stations that play nothing but musicvideos, like the MTV channels, or BET, etc.

E

Ey3 D

Yeah. Sorry about that. I have a bad case of P2P craze. I get carried away...

:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
oo i thought we were just talking about "music" in genral i misread the post

E

Ey3 D

Well yeah but P2P is a popular subject and sometimes people get carried away (like me).

Reaction score
Ey3 D said:
Yeah. Sorry about that. I have a bad case of P2P craze. I get carried away...
:mac:

There is no possible way that can be legal. Are you sure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
That is not legal. All P2P programs are legal its just what you download that is illegal.

E

Ey3 D

It's all illegal!
I actually caught it originally from someone. And after that, I was a gonner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.