how to partition the harddrive using boot camp

Reaction score
i have been trying to partition my hard drive but it says that it cannot partition because it is failing to move the files. It then says i have to backup and format my drive using disk utility. How do use disk utility to format, it gives the option of erasing the disk, is that what am supposed to use and what should i backup. i would also like to know if the formatting is going to delete my applications and operating system

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The error you received is really telling you that you don't have enough contiguous space on your hard drive to create a partition for Boot Camp to install Windows. And yes, formatting will destroy the data on your hard drive so you should not do that without first making a backup.

There are several ways you can resolve the error you're getting. One is free the other will cost $29.95. Here's the free method:

1. Make a backup of your entire hard drive using Time Machine. (to an external hard drive) Keep the drive attached to the machine.

2. Boot your machine with your install recovery DVD (Leopard, Snow Leopard) and use Disk Utility to erase and format the drive as HFS Extended Journaled. Make sure you erase and format your MacIntosh HD not the external drive!

3. Install OS X - during the install process you will be asked if you would like to restore with a backup. Select yes and select your backup from the external hard drive. The Time Machine backup will restore everything. After it finishes, reboot your machine from your MacIntosh HD.

4. Run the Boot Camp assistant again.

The other method I mentioned above that was $29.95 is an application called iDefrag 2. You can download it from here.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
The error you received is really telling you that you don't have enough contiguous space on your hard drive to create a partition for Boot Camp to install Windows. And yes, formatting will destroy the data on your hard drive so you should not do that without first making a backup.

There are several ways you can resolve the error you're getting. One is free the other will cost $29.95. Here's the free method:

1. Make a backup of your entire hard drive using Time Machine. (to an external hard drive) Keep the drive attached to the machine.

2. Boot your machine with your install recovery DVD (Leopard, Snow Leopard) and use Disk Utility to erase and format the drive as HFS Extended Journaled. Make sure you erase and format your MacIntosh HD not the external drive!

3. Install OS X - during the install process you will be asked if you would like to restore with a backup. Select yes and select your backup from the external hard drive. The Time Machine backup will restore everything. After it finishes, reboot your machine from your MacIntosh HD.

4. Run the Boot Camp assistant again.

The other method I mentioned above that was $29.95 is an application called iDefrag 2. You can download it from here.

Regards.

i got idefrag bt i need to do a full defrag and itr telling me to reboot from aother disk or dvd. It mast be noted am trying to defragment my start up disk

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have the new version of iDefrag? It does not require using a startup disk to do a defrag. If you have an older version, then you'll need to follow the directions given to make a startup disk for iDefrag. See the following LINK.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.