Wireless Router and External HDD Setup??

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First post and I did some searching for an answer to my question but didnt find what I was looking for. If there is already a thread on this, please post the link. Thanks.

Ok. I am looking to get a wireless router that I can attach an external hdd to and would like to try and get both pieces for $200 or less. I am currently running a MacBook and an older Mac Mini as well as an Xbox 360 (all wireless). I am not super concerned with hooking the Mac Mini up but if it does, thats a plus. Eventually the MM will be replaced with an iMac. So if anyone is running a similar setup or has some recommendations please send them my way. Other than web browsing and photo-sharing, streaming movies from the hdd will be the main job. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. While i know nothing about the xbox scene my vote would be for a Time Capsule and a dual band one if there is an iPhone in the future. It would do the wireless for MM MB and iMac and more and give you a HD storage. Currently i am using this for streaming movies to Apple TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Belkin makes pretty good routers - this one is $75 from Amazon
Amazon.com: Belkin Wireless N+ 802.11n Router (Black): Electronics

Here is an external 2tb seagate from Amazon - I think it reports in at $150
Amazon.com: Seagate FreeAgent Desk 2 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive ST320005FDA2E1-RK (Silver): Electronics
That puts you $25 over budget but if you want to stay under $200 there are plenty of 1tb usb drives out there.

For example
Amazon.com: Seagate Expansion 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive ST310005EXA101-RK: Electronics
1tb is $89 - 1.5tb is 109 which both keep you under $200.

You'll probably need to encode movies - to stream them over wifi. I have not had the greatest luck - even with 802.11n playing DVD quality movies over wifi. No problem when I am wired to the network. Anything encoded with Apple universal from handbrake seems to work OK over 802.11n - I am not sure how 802.11G would do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.