• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What just happened to google?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I just did a google search and I noticed on the left hand side of the page is a new column and stuff like selecting everything or news or blogs or other stuff. Like it just appeared there in my searches. Sneaky google just put it there. And I do not like it.

Is there anyway to relove this so I can get my google searches back to how they were before this mess invaded the left side of my google searches. I used to like the google search a lot but after this I dunno.

Is it possible to get that mess on the left hand side of the google search removed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Google changed their engine and a few other things in the last 48 hours... it's been all over the big tech sites and blogs. It's interesting that it's a bit more Bing-like now, I am not sure if I like it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just did a google search and I noticed on the left hand side of the page is a new column and stuff like selecting everything or news or blogs or other stuff.

I just did a Google search...and it looks the same to me. I don't see this new column on the left hand side of the page.

I'm using Safari 4.0.4.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Doesn't bother me. I use Yahoo!.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
You can read more about here

This change has been in development for awhile and it seemed to have been tested on random people because I and others have noticed that occasionally for no reason we would get the new Google look only to have it disappear later.

Also it doesn't look like their whole database is updated to the new look yet because I'm still get the old look when I do some random searches. Some search results gets the new look while some still has the old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You'll get used to it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do not like it but as Kash says we MAY get used to it or there are many options.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Guess my area must have been one of the test areas, because I've been seeing that for what seems like months off and on. Mostly on.

Reaction score
Haven't spot it yet but have heard about it on other sites. Not too sure I'll be a fan of it when it finally does encroach from the left..But, like a poster said, will have no choice but to get used to it really if they do roll it out..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
I'm with pigoo3, my google search looks the same. I wonder why we can't see the new look?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe bobtomay is correct because I've been seeing the new Google search format for quite some time also. (Maybe it's a Texas thing.) :) You know, everything is bigger and better in Texas. ;D

Regards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am seeing it here in California but only after I put in a search and hit go. Then I get the sidebar on the left. If I just go Google I just see the normal google page.

chscag & Bob, is your Macs screen larger since you both are in Texas? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Maybe because I'm using google.ca?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I believe bobtomay is correct because I've been seeing the new Google search format for quite some time also. (Maybe it's a Texas thing.) :) You know, everything is bigger and better in Texas. ;D

Regards.

Hey, don't go mangling the phrase now. Things are certainly bigger in Texas, nobody said that they were better :p

Reaction score
I don't know why websites keep changing things around. It just wastes my time getting used to the new layout.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Hopefully it will be like Google Earth with the auto update in the background - someone will come up with a list of files to delete to defeat the addition.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Do not like it but as Kash says we MAY get used to it or there are many options.

What other good looking options are out there that preform searches as good as google. Soogle is not ugly as sin but at their core their search engine is still darn good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I don't know why websites keep changing things around. It just wastes my time getting used to the new layout.
Well most websites do it because they are trying to add useful features or trying to make their sites easier to navigate. Whether they achieve those goals is a different matter. ;)

The old Google had an option to add the extra sidebar on the left which is pretty similar to the new Google. The difference this time is that it looks like users can't collapse the sidebar feature. You can pretty much ignore it if you don't use it. It's not like it's drastically different from the old layout.

It don't really mind the new sidebar. It allows me to narrow down my searches because if anyone has searched for something popular they will realize that there is so much information on the internet that you can lose most of your life just trying to look at it all. It also makes the Google search results more centered because on a large resolution monitor all the search results in the past were all the way to the left. It wasn't that big of a problem but it's just a nice bonus to have the results more towards the center so that I don't have to turn my head so much to the left.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I was seeing this type of google a while back on FireFox.

Now it seems to have moved on and plagued my Safari. :(

I really dislike it so far, it is too cluttered/space consuming (opposite of what is used to be).

I may start using a different search engine if I can't get used to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.