iPhoto - Organize Pics in Event

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know how to organize photos inside an event? I know that you can do this by sorting according to different criteria such as date, but I need to organize them manually.

Your support would be much appreciated...

Thanks,
Ramith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
You can't just drag them around? I haven't used iPhoto in a while but I thought you could...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
What version of iPhoto are you using? In 08 you need you can only manually sort photos in an album (but NOT a smart album) so you'll need to create an album for each event and copy photos into that. I understand that in 09 you can sort manually within and event but maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Reaction score
Nope. I have iPhoto '09 and have the same problem moving photos. I'd like to do a slide show with my 100+ photos, but a few are out of order. I suppose I'll have to move them into an entirely new event in the right order.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Why not edit the names to put them in the right alpha order and sort by name?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
Events shows pictures in Chronological order so if you must change the order you need to change the time and/or date. It's very easy. Just find the picture after where you want to move one. Check the EXIF time and date then use Adjust Time and Date in the menu bar to change the info on the pic you want to move to be a minute or so before it.

I have used this when I have used more than one camera and the times are set differently. Putting all the pics in the same project then changes the chronological order. The above change sorts that but I agree with earlier post that if you just want to change order for a specific slideshow it is better to make an album of the pics you need as albums can be in any order.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C

chas_m

The SOLUTION to wanting to manually sort pictures is to make an ALBUM of those pictures. Events are not sortable, because the entire idea of Events is that the pictures are sorted chronologically. If they are not sorted chronologically, then it isn't an Event.

Albums can be sorted any way you like, and include pictures from other Events or albums or whatever. So if you need to custom sort pictures in iPhoto:

a. Select some pictures (or just one).
b. Right click and choose "create album from selection."
c. Add more pictures and sort them as you wish. Slideshows made from albums can also of course be sorted as you like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The SOLUTION to wanting to manually sort pictures is to make an ALBUM of those pictures. Events are not sortable, because the entire idea of Events is that the pictures are sorted chronologically. If they are not sorted chronologically, then it isn't an Event.

I just have to disagree on this one. Just looked at my Events and they have names lie 'Berlin 2008', Lucy & Mike Engagement' (dated 2010)', 'New York 2009', 'Northumberland 2007', 'Wallington 2008'. Doesn't look at all chronological to me. In the events themselves photos are organised by their name (where I have renamed them), irrespective of when taken or when added to the event. In short I have my Events sorted exactly as I want them.

There is a menu option that states 'Sort Events' with options 'By Date, Keyword, Name, Rating, Manually' followed by a choice of ascending or descending.

C

chas_m

Sawday: you are right and I am (partially) wrong. I misunderstood what "page" we were talking about, I was talking about the main Events view not inside a particular event, but I probably misinterpreted what the OP wanted and you probably didn't. My bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.