Internet sharing, MBP thru APEBS to G4 Quicksilver

Reaction score
Ok, lets see if i actually get any help this time.

so i have a macbook pro (2.66ghz intel core i7, 4gb ddr3 ram, SL 10.6.3) and my Quicksilver G4 ( 867mhz g4 processor, 1.5gb ddr ram, Leopard 10.5.6) connected to my airport extreme base station via ethernet.

What I want to do is internet share from my MBP thru the APEBS to the Quicksilver.

I want to be able to access my network drives and be able to internet share.

I cant get my G4 to get the internet connection from my MPB via the APEBS, but works just fine when connected directly to my MBP.

any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
According to Mactracker the Power Mac G4 quicksilver had an optional install for an airport card. But only for 802.11b. So are you sure you have an airport card in your Power Mac? And secondly if it does are you sure you have the AEBS setup from your macbook pro with a 802.11b enabled signal?

OP
D
Reaction score
According to Mactracker the Power Mac G4 quicksilver had an optional install for an airport card. But only for 802.11b. So are you sure you have an airport card in your Power Mac? And secondly if it does are you sure you have the AEBS setup from your macbook pro with a 802.11b enabled signal?

you obviously didnt read what i said.

The G4 does not have an airport card.

the APEBS is not connected to the internet, i only use it for hard drives.

my macbook pro and G4 are connected to the airport extreme via cat6 cables.

I want to be able to internet share from my macbook pro's airport card (which is connected to the internet) thru the APEBS to the G4.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Guess my question is, since you have a router sitting there in the AEBS, why isn't it connected to the Internet instead of your MBP and both of your Macs connected to it allowing it to handle exactly what you want and what it was designed to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Is it because you are using a cellular usb modem to connect the MBP to the internet?

The real question is - how is the MBP connecting to the internet - and why can't you plug that connection directly into the wan port of the AEBS?

You could in theory create a network on your MBP - then use the AEBS to extend the ad-hoc network - I have never tried this and an ad-hoc network really has no security (just WEP) - so as soon as you start one up you are exposing yourself and your data.

If my guess is correct - I would get a broadband router - hook up the cellular modem to that - and route all network through that.
ROUTERS select device : 3Gstore.com, Mobile Broadband Made Easy. CradlePoint Routers, MiFi, Antennas, Amplifiers and Verizon & Sprint EVDO Modems.

I my guess is incorrect - please let us know what your WAN interface is.

OP
D
Reaction score
1) Is it because you are using a cellular usb modem to connect the MBP to the internet?

2) The real question is - how is the MBP connecting to the internet - and why can't you plug that connection directly into the wan port of the AEBS?

3) You could in theory create a network on your MBP - then use the AEBS to extend the ad-hoc network - I have never tried this and an ad-hoc network really has no security (just WEP) - so as soon as you start one up you are exposing yourself and your data.

4) If my guess is correct - I would get a broadband router - hook up the cellular modem to that - and route all network through that.
ROUTERS select device : 3Gstore.com, Mobile Broadband Made Easy. CradlePoint Routers, MiFi, Antennas, Amplifiers and Verizon & Sprint EVDO Modems.

5) I my guess is incorrect - please let us know what your WAN interface is.

1) No, using the airport card in my Macbook pro to connect to my home wireless network.

2)APEBS is not connected to the internet because we have this sbc/att yahoo internet that uses a modem/router all in one and is down stairs, and that wireless network wont let me extend the network through the APEBS.

why not just give me advice on what I want to do?

OP
D
Reaction score
Guess my question is, since you have a router sitting there in the AEBS, why isn't it connected to the Internet instead of your MBP and both of your Macs connected to it allowing it to handle exactly what you want and what it was designed to do?

1) internets modem/router is down stairs.
2) said modems wireless network cannot be extended
3) not enough space for the modem/router, APEBS, and 3 hard drives to all be in one place.

Why cant anyone just give me advice on achieving what I want to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You didn't give enough data to give good advice. After doing more research I have not found a way to extend an ad-hoc network using an AEBS - so as far as I can tell - no you cannot extend an ad-hoc network with an AEBS - you can only extend a WDS apple network. You also have not said if there is any budget to buy anything.. So here are 3 suggestions
1) Go get an Airport Express - plug it into your modem/router - then you can use the AEBS to extend the Airport Express network - cost $99
2) Go get a wireless card for your Quicksilver - there are plenty of usb cards out there - $16-$100 dollars
3) Run a cable $10 for 100 ft of cat5e

OP
D
Reaction score
You didn't give enough data to give good advice. After doing more research I have not found a way to extend an ad-hoc network using an AEBS - so as far as I can tell - no you cannot extend an ad-hoc network with an AEBS - you can only extend a WDS apple network. You also have not said if there is any budget to buy anything.. So here are 3 suggestions
1) Go get an Airport Express - plug it into your modem/router - then you can use the AEBS to extend the Airport Express network - cost $99
2) Go get a wireless card for your Quicksilver - there are plenty of usb cards out there - $16-$100 dollars
3) Run a cable $10 for 100 ft of cat5e

I gave exactly the data i needed to give to achieve what i want to do.

buying stuff and running a 150 cat 5 cable to the g4 is out of the question.

i just want to be able to share my macbook pros internet connection thru the APEBS via ethernet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.