Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Are you happy about the Intel switch?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
With IBM putting off Jobs for 3.0Ghz and a G5 for the Powerbooks, To me it's the only thing Jobs could have done. People were getting ansy for a G5 Laptop for sure. I would rather have had an AMD CPU in the new Macs but I doubt AMD could keep up with the added demand that Apple would need. As long as they keep OSX for Macs only, I am for the switch. Something clearly had to be done. Also I bet Jobs was a bit bent by Intel making a 3 Core 3.2Ghz CPU for the XBox 2 also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I am all for the switch, I don't even think we will be able to notice a performance decrease.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'll just put it like this. I don't think that I'll be losing any sleep over it anytime soon, and I trust Apple to make the right choices down the road.

I

iMe

I'm all for it too...Even though I'm thinking in my head about Apple + AMD, I'm pretty sure Apple made the perfect move. Kudos to Apple!!!

K

Kokopelli

Honestly I am apathetic. PPC or x86, it's all about software and performance for me. I think for the kind of tasks I do x86 is good and Apple has made a reasonable effort to ensure that there will be software. Don't screw up OS X and the platform becomes a question of economics for me.

Upon reflection I guess I am a little happy. PPC may be the better CPU from a technical standpoint but I think the alliance with Intel makes for a more dynamic road going forward. Especially when you put AMD into the equation.

I guess we will find out if it was a wise business decision in a decade or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I didn't vote....because quite frankly, it doesn't matter what proc the Mac uses to me. I mean look at the Keynote from WWDC...Jobs was using a Pentium Mac the whole time, and nobody knew. It wasn't until he brought up the computer info and told everyone that you could see the difference. I seriously doubt that if anyone here was given two Macs, identical in every say, save for the processor that they could tell the difference between the two without pulling up the system info or opening the case.

So, none of the poll options fit me...there should be one for "makes no difference to me" or "doesn't matter" :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I just fine with it. As said, I think it means better progress to faster CPU and will do Apple well in the long term

M

Maccraft

Yes I'm for it and excited about it, I think it is a wise yet a bit risky marketing decision and it will make playing games on lower end Macs a worth while experience. Although Phil Schiller (Apple Senior Vice President) said Mac OS wont run on PCs I think that it could still happen, in fact I want it to happen. Apple is doing reasonably well at the moment and with the few extra bucks and publicity they have got from the iPod, I think now would be the time for apple to take the risk and strike at Microsoft. Who knows maybe in the next 15 years or so Microsoft may not own the desktop.........Just image that.............

T

Tel

I'm perfectly happy with it, as long as Mac OS will only run on Apple hardware, I think I would get annoyed by all the Windows users trying to convince me its a peice of crap because it wont run very well on their low spec PC's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Tel said:
I'm perfectly happy with it, as long as Mac OS will only run on Apple hardware, I think I would get annoyed by all the Windows users trying to convince me its a peice of crap because it wont run very well on their low spec PC's

but then you could show them how well it runs on very well built apple products.

C

Colin Barnhorst

Better performance with less power consumption means good things for Apple. A dual core 64-bit Pentium M based laptop will do well in the marketplace.

Reaction score
ever PC fan knows that intel is the thing that you want least, it is very unreliable and they get really freaking hot really fast. i think that it is a very stupid idea what apple is doing

Reaction score
I believe it is a good idea because if Apple didn't make this transformation in 2 yrs Apple probablly won't exist.

B

badmojo

Imo, this may make Apple more mainstream. Similarly, this will probably open the door for more cross-platform developing. I don't know much about software development, but on the surface, it would seem that this move may make it easier to generate titles for both platforms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
Well, I generally prefer PPC, so I'm not really happy with the deal. However, it will be nice to get our own version of the Intel M chip in the next line of PBs. So I'm a bit on the fence.

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
The speed looks incredible but it just doesn't feel right. Something along the lines of morally wrong.

M

Macxtreme

Hi everyone, I'm new to the Forum, anyway, I'm just curious about the virus threat for Macs powered by Intel chips. Could there actually be an increase in virus activity for Macs. Does anyone know whether there is a possiblity?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.