Wireless printing...not!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5
I'm pretty new to wireless networks..actually brand new. I have a new 27" iMac and a Canon MX 870 printer. I'm using an Airport Extreme that is working perfectly with the computer. The rub is that I cannot get the printer to print wirelessly. I have followed the instructions, and the printer picks up the network but will not print. I'm sure it's something simple that I have overlooked but am at a loss as to what it is. there is a "WiFi" light on the printer that lights up but no joy. Any suggestions? I was going to call Canon but they are closed on the weekends.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I had the same problem with my Canon when I first hooked it up. I don't have an AE but the idea is the same: Canon advises to hook the printer up first via the USB cable. Then install their wireless software - which by the way pretty much does the work - and use the step by step guide. The software will actually query the network, obtain the password, ask for your permission to join, and then connect.

Remember though... the printer has to have a good signal from the AE in order to work right. A weak signal will light the network wireless LED but the printer will refuse to print or take forever to print.

Make sure you have the latest software from Canon. Their software download consists of about 5 files all of which are needed.

If you're still having difficulty, give Canon a call Monday and they'll walk you through it.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.