• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Now that Apple has had Lala for..

Reaction score
..quite some time now, what the heck are they going to do with it?

I went to Lala's website, and couldn't find anything. What are they doing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Removing there competition.... It's just business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Removing there competition.... It's just business.

I am not really sure that is exactly what they are aiming for, but in a way it does look that way.

They are in fact shutting it down on May 31st which is horrible. I am gonna miss LaLa's ability to stream my library anywhere, plus adding web songs for only 10 cents.

But there have also been reports that Apple is going the direction of LaLa where it will enable people to stream their libraries from the cloud. With iTunes having an increasing web presence (even the App Store now lives partially online). So in a way they bought LaLa since they already did most of the Technical work and Apple doesn't have to invest into reinventing the wheel.

People went as far as saying we should see something in the June/July time frame and am crossing my fingers. I doubt it will be as cheap as LaLa's service though... but a fella can only hope!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I am not really sure that is exactly what they are aiming for, but in a way it does look that way.

That's a good point, I'm sure everyone remembers Apple is in the process of building a massive server farm in North Carolina,From what I have read could be for "Cloud technology"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Steve and Apple bought Lala from what I've read for the engineers and other workers there. I think Apple believe those workers and technologies would be useful to Apple somehow in the future

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
That's a good point, I'm sure everyone remembers Apple is in the process of building a massive server farm in North Carolina,From what I have read could be for "Cloud technology"

Yup, I used to live a couple of hours away from where that server farm is being built (grown?) They were actually hiring late last year.

Steve and Apple bought Lala from what I've read for the engineers and other workers there. I think Apple believe those workers and technologies would be useful to Apple somehow in the future

so far those are the reports, who knows may be they'll announce it along the new iPhone this June.

And for our friends across the pond, they probably didn't care since they have spotify which by all reports was even better than LaLa.

Competition is wonderful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.