• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is this an iphone killer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Is this an iphone killer?
Or just just another iphone ripoff?

HTC Droid Incredible Smartphone Review | Macworld

464680_g5.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I had hands on experience with this phone the other day. I gotta say it's really nice.

I hate the term iPhone killer.
But I will say Apple raised the bar when it comes to smart phones, just like they did with the Mac and iPod. If anything this phone is part of that revolution Apple started back in 2007. It's all in what you want some people like Droid,Blackberry,Symbian,WebOS...etc they all have strengths and weaknesses and the iPhone is no exception. These companies are all benefiting from it. e.g. Apple' multitouch technology has been revolutionary,Anyone here ever use a resistive touch screen with a stylus? I use a Nexus One and I thank Apple everyday for developing such a nice touch screen experience.

I think it's a matter of opinion, One thing everyone should do is thank Apple for raising the standard.

Oli

Reaction score
I don't think there will ever be such a thing as an iphone killer,
and if one day it exists, it will be very short lived.

Here is why:
To beat the iphone you need to breed the kind of culture
that's inside Apple, that strives for excellence and the top user experience
possible. And no one is having this kind ofculture to the degree that Apple does.

And until another company has that, they will always be a step behind.

That's my opinion.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I had hands on experience with this phone the other day. I gotta say it's really nice.

I hate the term iPhone killer.
But I will say Apple raised the bar when it comes to smart phones, just like they did with the Mac and iPod. If anything this phone is part of that revolution Apple started back in 2007. It's all in what you want some people like Droid,Blackberry,Symbian,WebOS...etc they all have strengths and weaknesses and the iPhone is no exception. These companies are all benefiting from it. e.g. Apple' multitouch technology has been revolutionary,Anyone here ever use a resistive touch screen with a stylus? I use a Nexus One and I thank Apple everyday for developing such a nice touch screen experience.

I think it's a matter of opinion, One thing everyone should do is thank Apple for raising the standard.

Was it solid and well built? Was the call quality good? My Verizon contract is up and I'm considering picking up an Android phone on Verizon at a discount with the "new every 2" plan. So far, I've seen the Motorola Droid and the HTC "Droid Eris", and I'm leaning toward the Motorola. I hate going down to the Verizon store without knowing exactly what I want. In fact, I prefer doing it all online if I can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I don't think there will ever be such a thing as an iphone killer,
and if one day it exists, it will be very short lived.

Here is why:
To beat the iphone you need to breed the kind of culture
that's inside Apple, that strives for excellence and the top user experience
possible. And no one is having this kind ofculture to the degree that Apple does.

And until another company has that, they will always be a step behind.

That's my opinion.

Your right that is your opinion, I have said before I don't care for the term iPhone killer there are many things the iPhone can and can't do. You buy what suites your needs and wants. For you it sounds like the iPhone ,for me it's not. It's like comparing Apples to Oranges. Can you really put a Blackberry next to an iPhone and compare the two? There completely different. The really important part here is that Apple raised the standard for smart phones and this has since spawned a large array of smart phones that all do different things, For this we all owe Apple a big thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was it solid and well built? Was the call quality good? My Verizon contract is up and I'm considering picking up an Android phone on Verizon at a discount with the "new every 2" plan. So far, I've seen the Motorola Droid and the HTC "Droid Eris", and I'm leaning toward the Motorola. I hate going down to the Verizon store without knowing exactly what I want. In fact, I prefer doing it all online if I can.

It was solid sexy and well built. Look I know HTC had a bad reputation for a long time for building crappy phones, But they recently upped their Game I have the Nexus One I compared mine next to the Incredible I'm sad to say I now want the Incredible. I believe it sports a 8MP camera, The call quality was nice ( I only made one call) It was very thin,Excellent touch screen,and it has one of those new optical track pads. I wish they made a GSM version I could use on Tmobile, I was so jealous. It had such a nice feel to it and much thinner than the Droid.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was solid sexy and well built. Look I know HTC had a bad reputation for a long time for building crappy phones, But they recently upped their Game I have the Nexus One I compared mine next to the Incredible I'm sad to say I now want the Incredible. I believe it sports a 8MP camera, The call quality was nice ( I only made one call) It was very thin,Excellent touch screen,and it has one of those new optical track pads. I wish they made a GSM version I could use on Tmobile, I was so jealous. It had such a nice feel to it and much thinner than the Droid.

Thanks, I may go that route. Right now, my wife and I have standard older model Moto phones. Mine has been in mothballs since my company issued me an LG Verizon ENV2 and I've been using that for the most part. If I can tether this phone (and I'm told I can with a hack on Android), I may go with a data plan and then forward all of my work stuff to my personal phone. This would make it worth it for me. Still trying to figure out the costs involved, but it helps to at least have an idea of what I'm going with hardware-wise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I may go that route. Right now, my wife and I have standard older model Moto phones. Mine has been in mothballs since my company issued me an LG Verizon ENV2 and I've been using that for the most part. If I can tether this phone (and I'm told I can with a hack on Android), I may go with a data plan and then forward all of my work stuff to my personal phone. This would make it worth it for me. Still trying to figure out the costs involved, but it helps to at least have an idea of what I'm going with hardware-wise.

I went with Android don't regret it. I have a really nice tethering app, I downloaded after I hacked my Nexus it's pretty nice.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went with Android don't regret it. I have a really nice tethering app, I downloaded after I hacked my Nexus it's pretty nice.

Yeah, the more I read about Android and its flexibility, the more I'm thinking that I'm glad I waited and didn't get locked into the whole iPhone ecosystem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
At work yesterday, my boss asked my friend who works in mobile if he could see "the incredible." My friend started unzipping his pants and said, "oh, you want to see the incredible, eh?"

Too funny. I like me some iPhone. Droid's a decent OS, but I would rather my phone do all that and still have battery life. I can live without flash.

The Steve hath never steered me wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it works for you go for it. Personally I hadn't been with Tmobile for as long as I have, I would have jumped ship to Verizon a long time ago, But I get too good of a deal with them. I had a Verizon company phone a few years ago and I swear to this day it was the best cell service I have ever used as far as coverage goes, the worst was Nextel but that 10 years ago when they were first starting out. I can remember being able to use my Verizon phone inside an elevator.

Reaction score
Well, I think that would be my next cell phone.
I'm glad I waited before buying an iPhone.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
Honestly they coin the term "iPhone killer", but it will never happen. There are many phones on the market that are on par, or even better than the iPhone. I've played with a few I thought we're better than the iPhone.

If anything it will make Apple make it's iPhone even better, with new features.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Honestly they coin the term "iPhone killer", but it will never happen. There are many phones on the market that are on par, or even better than the iPhone. I've played with a few I thought we're better than the iPhone.

If anything it will make Apple make it's iPhone even better, with new features.

I hope so, Because the competition is catching up, Nokia has a phone coming later this year with a 12MP camera. As far as hardware goes Apple has not made many improvements since the 1st generation iPhone, Considering the 1st generation iPhone should have been 3G off the bat and with at least a 5MP camera, The Nokia N95 came out in 2005 it came equipped with both those features.

I know Apple has made leaps and bounds with software regarding the iPhone, I would just like to see major hardware improvements.

Reaction score
Nokia makes really nice business phones, I have a E51 and it's the best phone I've had yet. Their N-series phones however are utterly worthless IMO. Horrible build "quality", and buggy software. Not to mention the user interface is more horrid than that of windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Their N-series phones however are utterly worthless IMO. Horrible build "quality", and buggy software. Not to mention the user interface is more horrid than that of windows.

Really ? I had a N97 (which I admit was terrible) But I had their N900 running Maemo 5 and it was a really nice UI, Only downside was the resistive touch screen.

Reaction score
I own Iphone for nearly a year now, i am very happy with my Iphone but i also have an ATS and it is much better, to be honest there are some better than the iPhone.

Reaction score
iphone killer

I resisted the whole iphone thing for as long as I could but in the end gave in. There are just so many useful apps for the phone and it's just such a convenient size.

Reaction score
Really ? I had a N97 (which I admit was terrible) But I had their N900 running Maemo 5 and it was a really nice UI, Only downside was the resistive touch screen.

I think iPhone is much useful than current Nokia mobiles. But still it's not perfect. Every mobile has their faults. I liked old communicator at its time and hope some really interesting mobile will be launched in next years!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think iPhone is much useful than current Nokia mobiles. But still it's not perfect. Every mobile has their faults. I liked old communicator at its time and hope some really interesting mobile will be launched in next years!

I remember the Communicator what a nice phone I had the E90

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.