Mac Book Pro Print Server

Reaction score
I just purchased two mac book pro's. I currently have a Brother HL4070CDW printer and would like to set it up for wireless printing, at least to the macs. This is a mixed mac/pc environment. My existing network is via Netgear WNR3500 with a few pc's on it wired and wireless and the macs connecting wirelessly. I am looking for advice on a wireless print server. Apple care was not able to help me, they referred me to the router manufacturer. Some of what I have read is that Netgear is not strongly supported by Macs, and they have only one wireless print server which some users have not had luck with when operating their macs.
Thanks
bwski50a

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
It is or seems to be easier this day and time to use a networking printer but another
workaround maybe to use an Airport Express for wireless printing.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I and several others here use a D-Link 655. I do have my printer connected to it via ethernet, but don't think it should matter as your printer is a network printer.

The main issue I can see if you want to set the printer up wirelessly instead of via ethernet is that you'll have to use a combo g/n network since the printer is b/g only. This will have the effect of slowing all devices down to g speeds any time the printer is communicating on the network. Have not experimented or studied enough to know if merely having the printer set up as wireless and how often it will talk to the router would effectively limit it to g speeds all the time or not.

Having your printer connected via ethernet to the router still allows for wireless access for all the devices on the network.

My question is, if you already have wireless access to the printer with your current setup, what is it that you are really looking to change?

OP
B
Reaction score
Bobtomay-
I am not currently communicating with the printer via wireless. I can only go online wireless with the macs. The printer is currently communicating with the pcs in the network as a network printer, via ethernet cable from the router. I understand, however, that the pc connected to the router via ethernet cable must be present for the other pcs to communicate with the printer.

bwski50a

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have you added that printer on your Macs?

Unless there is something I'm unaware (a possibility), according to their FAQ there should be no reason the computers need to be connected via ethernet. They should only need to be on the same network.

Software is available here.

OP
B
Reaction score
bobtomay-
It works! I cannot believe how easy this was! I misunderstood something that I had read which led me to believe that it would not work on a mac.

Thank you so much for your help.
bw

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.