PDA

View Full Version : Mac Forums Widget?

PowerBookG4
06-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Alot of other forums are coming up with thier own widgets so that people with tiger can check the latest post with out signing on to the site. Is there a possibility for any body on this forum who knows how to program in creating one for us if they have free time or a group of people who would like to work on it. I am willing to test it and offer suggestions but not really a talented person when it comes to writing code but working on getting better at that for the future.

iMe
06-10-2005, 09:03 PM
I was looking in Macrumors.com in the section, "What does your dashboard look like" and I thought someone with a powerbook had a mac-forums widget. I'll check again.

PowerBookG4
06-10-2005, 09:50 PM
ok sounds good..

rs2sensen
06-12-2005, 01:28 AM
If I knew how to program, I would. But sadly, I don't. Maybe some other awesome forum poster will do it, or take the code from another forum's and modify it to work for mac-forums...

Kokopelli
06-12-2005, 09:10 AM
<EDIT> OK there is an RSS feed. If making a widget out of that will do I would consider it. It is important to note though I should not be your first choice. I know html, css, and javascript but I am not a UI designer. Someone with web design and graphics experience could do a much better job than me.

Leaving my initial ramblings below...
</EDIT>

There is not an RSS feed in the forums as near as I can tell which complicates things significantly. You could use the "latest threads" on the front page I suppose. Alternatively you could authenticate and gut the get new display. Neither of these are going to yield very good results though since the whole widget is still basically just a cascading style sheet and some JavaScript.

Do not take this as an intent to write the widget by the way. Right now I try hard to find things to do in my spare time that does not involve coding, not the reverse. (I do code in my spare time but I am trying to cut back.)

If an RSS feed is made available though or some other XML format I might consider it. At that stage the widget actually is fairly trivial. There are others here who are more capable than I at web design though, which is what is really required.

P.S. For Widgets I would not worry about a lack of programming experience. Widget design often does not really involve "programming," just a bit of html and javascript. You can use cocoa, but most widgets of this nature don't need it.

Murlyn
06-12-2005, 01:47 PM
Actually I was going to do this when I upgraded to tiger, but if someone else does it first.. great! it'll save me time :)

The RSS feed is here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/external.php?type=rss2

sarahsboy18
06-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Coding it was easy enough... just gotta skin it now... I'll post soon

PowerBookG4
06-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Coding it was easy enough... just gotta skin it now... I'll post soon

You are aweome!!!!

iWhat
06-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Everyone should make one, and then decide on an offical one.

PowerBookG4
06-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Everyone should make one, and then decide on an offical one.

I would but I don't know how, I wouldn't mind designing one and somebody using my design for a skin, just a little busy right now, finals are coming and I have alot of them this year.. finally next year I will be a senior!

iNAP
06-12-2005, 10:21 PM
is there one yet? if so where can we get it?

sarahsboy18
06-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Here it is ladies and gents.... I just did it real basic.... nothing special... but it gets the job done.

iNAP
06-12-2005, 10:30 PM
here its first preview ;)

Tel
06-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Here it is ladies and gents.... I just did it real basic.... nothing special... but it gets the job done.

Looks nice, works well too. Good job, thanks mate :headphone

Benjamindaines
06-12-2005, 10:32 PM
you know we all love you sarahsboy18 dont you?

PowerBookG4
06-12-2005, 10:37 PM
here its first preview ;)
mine doesn't look like that, mine looks really nice red top, and mac forums logo.
If any body wants me to take a screen shot I will, but figured it would look the same to everybody else too.

sarahsboy18
06-12-2005, 11:58 PM
I'm not sure the one I uploaded is working quite right... is it updating correctly for everyone?... mine doesn't appear to be.

Edit: Nevermind that is just some sort of delay in the RSS feed.

iNAP
06-13-2005, 12:01 AM
mine doesn't look like that, mine looks really nice red top, and mac forums logo.
If any body wants me to take a screen shot I will, but figured it would look the same to everybody else too.
in my rush to check it out i didn't notice that that widget is not for this site. Hmmmmm. someone played a fast one on us

sarahsboy18
06-13-2005, 12:05 AM
Murlyn... are you sure that was the correct RSS link you posted before? That is the link I used to build the widget... It doesn't seem to be pulling all the "Get New" threads. I can't really tell what it is pulling... seems somewhat random... Possibly newly created threads instead of newly updated?

Edit: I went ahead and threw a screenshot of the current version.

iNAP
06-13-2005, 01:07 AM
where can I get the right one?

Graphite
06-13-2005, 01:10 AM
i think addikt was making a widget for konfobulator era a while back when i was developing Evur for M-F

chouk
06-13-2005, 02:35 AM
since i dnt have tiger..don't they have a konfabulator one?...

trpnmonkey41
06-13-2005, 06:54 AM
Murlyn... are you sure that was the correct RSS link you posted before? That is the link I used to build the widget... It doesn't seem to be pulling all the "Get New" threads. I can't really tell what it is pulling... seems somewhat random... Possibly newly created threads instead of newly updated?

Edit: I went ahead and threw a screenshot of the current version.

I think that it just gets new threads

PowerBookG4
06-13-2005, 06:59 AM
yeah it appears to only get newly created, not newly updated, but that is fine for now because that is what the rss feed has.

sarahsboy18
06-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Maybe I should add a link on the front for "Get New"... Any other ideas?

iNAP
06-13-2005, 09:38 AM
add it to shout box
http://www.mac-forums.com/index.php?action=shoutbox

rs2sensen
06-13-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm logged in, but it won't let me download the widget. It brings me to a screen to enter in my username and password, and then when I enter that, it just brings me to the same screen over and over again...

Maybe a link to the user profile? Thats the first place I look when I go to mac-forums, my subscribed threads...

rs2sensen
06-13-2005, 11:06 AM
since i dnt have tiger..don't they have a konfabulator one?...

Yeah, my Tiger actually doesn't come for three days either... wish there was a konfabulator one, but I can wait...Konfabulator uses too much ram anyways.

Murlyn
06-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Yeah that's the only RSS feed that I have.. muso or schweb, could you look into seeing if there are other RSS feeds available for vBulletin?

sarahsboy18
06-13-2005, 01:50 PM
I should be able to make it so you can select the RSS feed you want to view on the back... (nobody hold me to this... LOL)

Macman
06-13-2005, 02:12 PM
I am still on panther with konfab. I suggested a widget when I first joined, but no one wanted to help make one.

iNAP
06-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Your suggestion didn't go unnoticed ....probably just a new thing no one was sure of how to do at the time. ;) You still DaMan!

sarahsboy18
06-13-2005, 02:25 PM
I looked at doing a Konfab one too... but it is more XML based which puts it a little farther out of my knowledge... I know just enough web coding stuff to get into trouble. I may give it a shot later it can't be too bad.

PowerBookG4
06-13-2005, 02:49 PM
I don't even know what konfab is.

dtravis7
06-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Looks great on my end. Keep up the good work!

Macman
06-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Your suggestion didn't go unnoticed ....probably just a new thing no one was sure of how to do at the time. ;) You still DaMan!
yea, 1 or 2 people posted, but it was quickly dismissed, I also suggested an rss feed, which they didn't have at the time.

trpnmonkey41
06-13-2005, 03:11 PM
yea, 1 or 2 people posted, but it was quickly dismissed, I also suggested an rss feed, which they didn't have at the time.

We have had the RSS Feed since September 03

rs2sensen
06-13-2005, 04:13 PM
I don't even know what konfab is.

It is available for both PC and Mac, and runs "widgets." It's widgets take a similar function to those found in dashboard for Tiger, but the actual programming is different. It was available before Tiger, and lots of people cried that Tiger stole Konfab's idea. However, I disagree, because the real idea of widgets, can be traced to the early macs.

Benjamindaines
06-13-2005, 04:16 PM
However, I disagree, because the real idea of widgets, can be traced to the early macs.
im with you all the way on that one

PowerBookG4
06-15-2005, 10:28 PM
oh i never heard of that before, should of had it when I got panther, but I guess since I am on Tiger now it doesn't matter.