• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Video game merit badge... seriously boy scouts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
That's a true reflection of the state of society today. What's next? Weight watchers badge for all the flabby teens that we have, caused by sitting around getting their game playing badge. I despair.
Scouts is supposed to be about an active lifestyle!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
That's a true reflection of the state of society today. What's next? Weight watchers badge for all the flabby teens that we have, caused by sitting around getting their game playing badge. I despair.
Scouts is supposed to be about an active lifestyle!

I love me the crap out of some video games. I also bike 10-20 miles in the limited time I have after work and upwards of 30 on the weekends. Who says they can't go hand in hand?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I love me the crap out of some video games. I also bike 10-20 miles in the limited time I have after work and upwards of 30 on the weekends. Who says they can't go hand in hand?

If you're working, you're obviously much older & wiser than the average 6-11 year-old Cub Scout ;)...who may not be doing much exercising along with their gaming.

Unfortunately...over-weight teens, tweens, and pre-tweens is becoming more & more common. Stories on the evening news & 24 hour news channels (at least weekly) confirming that fact.

I don't know a whole lot about Cub Scouts these days..but if there is a "Video Game" badge to be earned...there should be some "Exercising" badges to be earned as well to balance things out.

- Nick

p.s. Good job on the weekly bike riding :)...I normally run 85-100+ miles/week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
After rerading the article it's more a pin/belt loop then a badge. Still the fact that video games has any part of the Scouts movement is really sad. Add that to some schools having virtual sports (the Wii) in their physical education programs (I saw it on the news) and we have a sad sad world indeed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Academics Pin
Earn the Video Games belt loop and complete five of the following requirements:
1. With your parents, create a plan to buy a video game that is right for your age group.
2. Compare two game systems (for example, Microsoft Xbox, Sony PlayStation, Nintendo Wii, and so on). Explain some of the differences between the two. List good reasons to purchase or use a game system.
3. Play a video game with family members in a family tournament.
4. Teach an adult or a friend how to play a video game.
5. List at least five tips that would help someone who was learning how to play your favorite video game.
6. Play an appropriate video game with a friend for one hour.
7. Play a video game that will help you practice your math, spelling, or another skill that helps you in your schoolwork.
8. Choose a game you might like to purchase. Compare the price for this game at three different stores. Decide which store has the best deal. In your decision, be sure to consider things like the store return policy and manufacturer's warranty.
9. With an adult's supervision, install a gaming system.
It's actually not that bad, it just shows how they have adjusted to fit in with today. Like number 2, 4,8 and 9 are actually helpful skills if you apply them outside of the video game world.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's actually not that bad, it just shows how they have adjusted to fit in with today. Like number 2, 4,8 and 9 are actually helpful skills if you apply them outside of the video game world.

Thanks a bunch for posting/linking the actual requirements for this badge or pin/belt loop. The scope of skills required & practiced in that list of requirements:

- teaching
- socializing
- creating a plan
- involving your parents & family
- decision making
- practicing math, spelling, and other skills

...are very very important skills to practice & develop. It would seem that the video game part of this is only a modern or popular "vehicle" to get a young person involved in practicing & developing these skills.

With this additional info...IMHO...I see no problems with this video game badge or pin/belt loop.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
After rerading the article it's more a pin/belt loop then a badge. Still the fact that video games has any part of the Scouts movement is really sad. Add that to some schools having virtual sports (the Wii) in their physical education programs (I saw it on the news) and we have a sad sad world indeed.

Yep, my daughters school have a Wii for that. We went spare at the teachers in parents meeting.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Well, I knew the requirements... still though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Whatever appeals to the kids eh? Maybe the days of knotting, splicing and whipping are over?

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Good! Keep those snot nosed little brats in line! haha

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope. I still plan on whipping my kids...

O:)

A "whipping" was always a fantastic motivator for me to be "good". And if I was going to be "bad"...I better be really really careful that no one found out about it!;)

But then isn't that always the problem...not letting your parents find out about the "bad" things!!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Pretty pathetic that Scouting has come to this, especially considering a recent study that seems to find that about 75% of American youths are physically, mentally or criminally "Ready Willing and Unable" to serve in the U.S. Armed Forces. I wonder how today's Scouts would fare against the likes of Ashbal Saddam, World Assembly of Muslim Youth (WAMY) Jihad or Jugendbund der NSDAP. I think the saying goes along the lines of "Most great societies fall due to decay from within...". Something to that effect anyways...

Expressed best, IMHO, in The Breakfast Club:

VERNON: You think about this...when you get old, these kids; when I get old, they're gonna be runnin' the country.

CARL: Yeah?

VERNON: Now this is the thought that wakes me up in the middle of the night... That when I get older, these kids are gonna take care of me...

CARL: I wouldn't count on it!

Reaction score
Interesting thread.... I suppose it was inevitable for the Scouts to bring video gaming into their mix, to remain relevant for today's kids who are growing up with ipads in their hands. I, too, see it as a medium that offers an opportunity for learning and practicing useful skills. At least the award is not based on who logs the most hours playing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not that sort of 'whipping'! You lot must have been atrocious kids!

Whipping referred to is done with cord to prevent rope fraying, similar to splicing but not so labour intensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Or you can just burn/melt the ends of the cord to stop it fraying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.