• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

remember Y2K?

Reaction score
I wasn't on computers back then but I do recall the talk of it ;)
I just found this in my www. travels and thought an old subject would be fun to revisit here. Any others seen similar Y2K jokes?Or is this over the hill?

BG.jpg

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe the next date to worry about is 2038.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe it has to do with the 32 bit registers. Mac OS 9 was okay in 2000, but would have a problem in 2038. I don't know know about OS X. It maybe different on the 64 bit machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
:black:
benjamindaines said:
the release of longhorn of corse

very funny

i think it will come out in 2500, that is if microsoft is still around :biohazard

E

Ey3 D

Well either it will never come out or it will just crash ever PC ever!
But the reason that it will crash all the PCs will be because that is the dumbest name I have ever heard for anything!It is like a military operation name!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
No, a military operation would sound a LOT cooler...

FLY NAVY!

I

iMe

Ey3 D said:
But the reason that it will crash all the PCs will be because that is the dumbest name I have ever heard for anything!
Hahah.....I agree. "You guys/gals wanna see my Longhorn!!!!" :spook:

E

Ey3 D

I wanna cut Bill Gates's longhorn off and make him eat it! True, military operation would have a cool name. But it is like some kind of sword or something from Lord Of The Rings.

Reaction score
You know guys, we all know windows sucks badly compared to MacOS X . (Still, no need to make Bill eat his Longhorn.) After all, we've all (or many) used Windows before and it has it's issues, because of it's complexity.

MacOS X is user-freindlier, I agree totally. But that's not it's main reason of being "better".

Windows' concept is totally different. While Apple tailors it's hardware to fit the software perfectly, which we may call a closed-source platform, M$ thrives to make themselves work on any platform whatsoever. I mean, MacOS X now works on Intel, would it work on AMD? I doubt it. Would OS X work if you jammed in a MSI motherboard? You couldn't, really, not in an iMac.

That's the difference, and M$ obviously pciked up the harder job. And I have a feeling Longhorn will not be a disappointment, or else they wouldn't wait so long.

I'm not really defending M$ here, but I'm trying to show why they are understandabally behind.

D

Dexter1912

Ey3 D said:
I wanna cut Bill Gates's longhorn off and make him eat it! True, military operation would have a cool name. But it is like some kind of sword or something from Lord Of The Rings.

wrong on so many levels?

A

amyrinth

Indeed. I think that Longhorn is justt gonna be a waste of time and money. Bill gates must be really desperate, to start using Animal names like that. the first thing they should start with is pig, then dog, then worm... Maybe wrom first. That is how slow some windows computers run... Compared to my iBook of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I remember y2k i was 11, wow i had my own laptop back then (and it was my second one) it was a dell any way... but i turned the date back 2 days just incase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
amyrinth said:
Indeed. I think that Longhorn is justt gonna be a waste of time and money. Bill gates must be really desperate, to start using Animal names like that. the first thing they should start with is pig, then dog, then worm... Maybe wrom first. That is how slow some windows computers run... Compared to my iBook of course.
I think he should of gone with bug names ie tick mosquito fly ant roach

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Alright, to start. If your bashing bill gates, you are just attacking a good man who is running a very successful company and believes he is doing good by providing the world with the most successfully sold software and OS. Bill Gates is giving all but a few million dollars away to various non-profit organizations. Which means his children will get like .01% of his worth.

If you must hate anything, hate microsoft. But that just shows your insecurities, your hating on a company for why? I dont care if the world uses PC, as long as I have my mac i dont mind using a PC now and then. But if you think about it, if there was no microsoft (there would be something else), macintosh would suck, it would have no competition and no reason to make itself better. You should be thanking microsoft not bashing it, i mean sure they make a shotty copy cat system, but that shotty system is what the world likes and what mac is competing against.

All you should worry about is, your using a mac, who cares if anyone else does.

-this thread has gone on long enough and has strayed away from its topic. No more posts about microsoft! this is the last one, if you want to talk about microsoft make a new thread, this is Y2k. We will close this thread if we have to.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
"Bill gates must be really desperate, to start using Animal names like that."
Hello................"TIGER"etc, etc. Last time I checked OS in Apple are animal names

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Back on topic:

I was working for a large European-based international bank during the whole Y2K thing. I was responsible for a large portion of the company's technical infrastructure.

When I started with the company in 1997, they already had 80% of their Y2K isues under control. They took this really seriously, especially since they have a large consumer banking business.

On December 30, 1999 there was a glitch on the systems that ran the bank's ATMs, and they all crashed. This received some press and a lot of people freaked out, thinking it was a Y2K problem. It wasn't-- it was an application problem that happened to show up on that particular day. We recovered and got ready for the Big Day.

I spent the night of December 31 driving between our office in the city and the data center in the suburbs, getting reports from my staff as to what was going on and reporting back to management. By 10:00 am we were all done.

It was a complete non-event. I wish there were stories I could tell, but other than an impromptu wine-tasting it was nothing to write home (or in the mac-forums) about. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.