• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

New Apple User Having Problems Downloading Things

S

Swerb

Recently bought an iBook G4 (with Panther) after a lifetime as a Windows user. I can't seem to download any videos. Nothing happens after the download is complete, and when I click on the icon that appears on my desktop, it asks me which program I want to use to open it, and none of the logical choices work.

Am I a moron and missing something simple here?

Much thanks in advance for any assistance ... I love my new Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
What kind/format of videos are you downloading? Do you only use QuickTime? If the videos are AVI you may want to try VLC (look for it at www.versiontracker.com).

OP
S

Swerb

I believe I only use Quick Time. Some things do download, and Quick Time is what comes up.

Possibly the videos that won't download aren't Quick Time compatible, this must be my problem. Is there a free solution to this, or do I have to purchase something?

Thanks again for the help! Im such a rube!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
VLC is freeware and plays everything. You may need also Windows Media for OSX, just because there is a lot of videos in that format, the OSX version is really simple and lacks of the extras of the Windows version. Just go to Microsoft's page and it will redirect you to Mac's section.

Link to VLC: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14738

Reaction score
mraya said:
VLC is freeware and plays everything. You may need also Windows Media for OSX, just because there is a lot of videos in that format, the OSX version is really simple and lacks of the extras of the Windows version. Just go to Microsoft's page and it will redirect you to Mac's section.

Link to VLC: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14738

Hi I tried downloaded this but after I hit the download it says to pick a location. I am new at this and not sure what to do. I have the Mac OSX software. Please help.
Thanks
PS you must think I an really dumb :dummy:

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Oh, just pick any. Those are just one of the many locations you can download the app, so if one of them is down, you have the other to choose from. Developers prefer other websites to host their app in order to keep costs down in order to not use up their bandwidth, which does cost money, if they ever needed more to keep their website up.

Reaction score
iWhat said:
Oh, just pick any. Those are just one of the many locations you can download the app, so if one of them is down, you have the other to choose from. Developers prefer other websites to host their app in order to keep costs down in order to not use up their bandwidth, which does cost money, if they ever needed more to keep their website up.
Hi
I just clicked on Canada and it would not load. What am I doing wrong?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Yep, that one's broken. You really know how to pick em'! :eek: Try another one. :cool:

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks I got it now. I also sent you a PM about other questions. Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.