• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Good pont and shoot camera??

TWM

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy my girlfriend a good point and shoot camera. Doesn't need to be anything too crazy, just good for vacations and such! Looking to spent $150 to $300 being the max. Any ideas? :| Thanks!!!!

***just realized there maybe a better category for this thread! Feel free to move mods! ***

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's the link to the Canon web site (cameras). I prefer Canon's point and shoot cameras because they're well built, easy to use, and not overly expensive for what you get. They're also compatible with Mac computers. :)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
we bought a Casio Exilim EX-Z33 in January to replace an old clunky Kodak. check out my post in the photo of the month thread. i also have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ-5 that is a couple of years old. i got it because of the 12X optical zoom. it has taken some pretty nice pictures. look me up in Flickr with the same username as here. i am not a professional photographer. i do know that the Lumix series is rather nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7
i would go with a lumix

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Lumix is great. Only issue I have with one is no viewfinder. For a lot of shots I take I really need a viewfinder. Canon's lower cost P&S are usually first rate also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Nikon Coolpix S600 .... great device ... easy to use and great pictures. ( for an amateur like me off course )

Cheers ... McBie

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Almost any P&S digital these days is pretty good. I really like the Panasonics and Canons. But to me the most important thing to consider is how it feels in the hands; there's no substitute to picking it up and getting the feel of how it will be to use.
As far as the other specs go, MP (anything above 8 MP is essentially meaningless in a P&S), ISO (it may up to 6400 but you won't be able to use anything over 800 except in unusual circumstances due to noise).
Optical zoom adds to cost and potentially weight and size. My own preference is for a minimum 8X zoom and I really like the 20X on my Lumix FZ28.
I also like articulating (swingout) LCD -- mostly Canon models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21in 2011 iMac
i have always used canon's but recently got my girlfriend a sony and it's awesome. great photo's and very easy to use. nikon coolpix are nice too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7
be sure to take a better quality lent over more pixels

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
So many choices. Since you asked. The best point & shoot cameras I have owned are Olympus. Those 2 cameras take great pictures and video. The best DSLR's have been Canon. If I were hunting a camera it would be a Canon or Olympus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
As a Nikon DSLR shooter, I can say with confidence that.. I'd stay AWAY from Nikon point and shoot camera's like the plague ! They're just awful, which is really a shame. Seems they don't invest enough of their R&D money into their portable market.

I've only ever owned and loved Canon point and shoots, and a bridge camera (S3IS), and can say with certainty that you can not go wrong with a Canon. I bought my wife the Power Shot A590IS and I probably use it more than she does. It is able to be used with manual controls such as aperture, shutter speed and ISO, so if you have a lot more control vs full Auto mode, which is great if you're shooting at night and have a very light tripod..

Auto mode also works quite well, so can't complain there. The only thing I don't like is that it seems to be an battery eater. Always carry spares..

Now, other than Canon, I would seriously consider a Panasonic alternative in the form of the Lumix DMC-ZS1, ZS3 or ZS5. The main differences between the three, which differentiate their prices, is the quality of the video. All of them zoom while focusing, which is very rare in a point and shoot, and image quality is great due to the Leica lens. Which mind you is capable of a 12X optical zoom, NOT digital.

This will allow for a really nice depth of field when zooming in on a subject, blurring the background. The most expensive model which tops out at your desired highest price range ($300) is the S3 The S5 is $258 and the S1 is $189

Panasonic | Lumix DMC-ZS1 Digital Camera (Silver) | DMC-ZS1S

Personally speaking, I don't think you can go wrong with the ZS1. If you want better video quality, then you spend more for either the Z3 or Z5.

Going down the Canon road, I'd seriously have a look at the SX 120. It also has a 12X optical zoom, and manual exposure capabilities for those times when you want more control over your photos. It gets great reviews, with the only negative being that there's a slight delay between shots when using the flash. Oh, and with this camera, the flash doesn't automatically pop up. which is a good thing. It gives you the option to use flash when you want to, not when the camera wants to. This is not a negative.

Canon | PowerShot SX120 IS Digital Camera | 3634B001 | B&H Photo

One last thing. Do not be fooled by megapixel numbers. They are absolutely worthless to boast about on a point and shoot. In fact, the more megapixels, the more you should be wary of the image quality. The problem is that these camera's have extremely small image sensors, and the more pixels you try and cram on to them, the more processing the camera has to do to compensate for digital noise. You don't want that. My 6MP Canon produces image quality far better than most if not all 14MP point and shoots.

The main point to more megapixels is concerning how large you're able to blow up a print. Technically speaking, the more MP, the larger the print you should be able to get. But trust me, a 14 MP P&S will introduce artifacts which you'll see if you try to print at a very large size.

/rant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy my girlfriend a good point and shoot camera. Doesn't need to be anything too crazy, just good for vacations and such! Looking to spent $150 to $300 being the max. Any ideas? :| Thanks!!!!

***just realized there maybe a better category for this thread! Feel free to move mods! ***

How about a Waterproof Panasonic Lumix?
You're going to be on vacation, you never know when it might rain or you get pushed into the lake.

What Doug says about Megapixels is correct. I have a 7mp Sony DSCW80 that takes better pictures at 7mp than these 12mp Chinese monstrosities people buy at Wal-mart.

Reaction score
I currently have a Sony DSC W230 and it's a very solid point and shoot.

12.4 MP and a 4X optical zoom.

Also takes HD quality still shots and has a 3" LCD screen..

I know Sony has just released a new line of cameras as well, so this model is obviously the previous line.

Others I'd check out would be from Canon or Olympus..

Not a fan of Kodak or Nikon P&S

Fuji is hit or miss as well.

Reaction score
Cannon Camera

Hey guy, I bought my wife that cannon for christmas and its the best camera we have ever bought. This makes our 5th camera in 21 years of marriage. Great camera

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.