• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I need help with an Apple based arguement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Here on this other starcraft 2 forum I am also posting on

Blizzard hopes to release Macintosh beta client sometiem in April. - StarCraft 2 forum

An agruement started up around page 2 I think about one question:
"Are Apple computers PC's too?".
I didn't mean to start up the arguement but it just happened. And so many people there are against that Apple could make anything that could be called a PC.

My rationale is this: Apple computers are personal computers as are every computer used in the home. And they became IBM compatible PCs with the switch to intel. These people just can't see that today hardware wise a non Apple-PC (custom built) can be exactly the same as an Apple-PC. Only difference is the box/form it comes in.

Is there anything I need to add to my arguement?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
An agruement started up around page 2 I think about one question:
"Are Apple computers PC's too?".
I didn't mean to start up the arguement but it just happened. And so many people there are against that Apple could make anything that could be called a PC.

We've discussed this here before...as you probably know!:) And it hardy ever ends very pretty!:(

The acronym "PC" stands for "Personal Computer". If Apple computers are not "Personal Computers"...then what are they???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer

- Nick

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yeah I agree it always ends up as a big mess. Some people just never learn.
But at least the regulars here like us know the truth :).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I agree it always ends up as a big mess. Some people just never learn.
But at least the regulars here like us know the truth :).

Those folks on the Starcraft 2 forum who are arguing about the "PC" thing (like any internet forum) there is a certain percentage of members who are:

- immature
- stubborn
- closed-minded
- overly emotional
- etc.

...and no matter how much sense you make or how logical your argument...many of these folks simply will not be convinced.:(

Thankfully...many many members of well run forums (like this one) are mature, are open-minded, and are willing to change their mind if presented with convincing details, facts, and logic!:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My Amiga was a Personal Computer. So was my Atari ST. When IBM came out with their first Personal Computer and started calling it a PC is when this started I believe. Then Apple with the all the Mac Vs PC stuff.

To me any computer for personal use is a PC. Like that Wikipedia URL that Pigoo linked to.

People will make an argument out of anything now a days and especially Windows people who hate Macs.

I would not make a war with any of them. Just point out that URL above and let them fight. They will get tired eventually! :D

I am glad I love messing with all kinds of different computers. Makes for a fun hobby. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
It's easier to refer to a Mac as a Mac and all other computers as PC. It's pretty standard for people to mean a computer that runs just Windows when they say PC.

Of course you can install OS X on non Apple hardware and that doesn't change the type of computer it is.

It's like Xerox became the defacto word for copiers, regardless of whether or not they were actually a Xerox brand copier due to the popularity of Xerox.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's easier to refer to a Mac as a Mac and all other computers as PC. It's pretty standard for people to mean a computer that runs just Windows when they say PC.

I certainly understand the convenience of this during everyday conversation...and I'm flexible enough to say that I find it handy as well.

But when folks start to seriously argue that a Macintosh is NOT a "PC"...well that's when things get a bit delicate!;) Since the acronym "PC" really stands for "Personal Computer". And since a Macintosh computer is a personal computer...there really is not much of an argument.

But like I said...I certainly understand how the term "PC" originated or evolved to refer to any computer running the Windows OS.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Dude... I think the important fact you're over looking here, is that you're likely arguing with runny nosed, antihistamine popping, inhaler breathing, pimple popping nerd buckets !

Is it really worth your valuable time, time that could be better spent coming up with neato links to Apple relevant linkage, to get into it with em' ? And yes... a Mac IS a personal computer, period. :Smirk:

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
One of them there says "What you're doing is going by the literal definition of PC. As in personal computer, as in if you own it then its yours and its a computer. That's not the issue here.". That is the issue, because the literal definition = the definition, end of.

You're arguing with a bunch of stubborn, un-educated fanboys, there's no winning, even when you are right. Just leave it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.