Airport Extreme base station (oldest version) not being recognized by computer

Reaction score
Hi. Usually, i never had any problems with my airport extreme. Ive had it for over 4 years. But all the plugs were removed when I moved and i am having trouble setting up again.

I have
An old mac computer with tiger
Base Station
and Broadband Modem

When I connect the modem to my harddrive directly I have no problems with my internet. But, I want to have internet wirelessly throughout my house which this doesnt allow. When I put the cord connected to my modem to the airport extreme though, while having an ethernet cord connected to my computer from the airport, the internet stops working. I really am confused on what is wrong.

It recognizes my modem in the Airport Utility, but says "No airport disks found" in the toolbar.

Any advice?

I need wireless internet asap.

thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. First just so we understand your scene - Have you had the wireless working at all?
And you say
When I connect the modem to my harddrive directly
- By hardrive do you mean your Computer, and which model of computer do u have?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I own one of the early Airport Extreme Base Stations. The Round one that looks like a flying saucer! :D

Are you sure you are setting up the AE correctly? Also like Colin asked, did it every work?

I am just using mine at present as an WiFi Access Point in a part of my house. Also do you have the modem plugged into the correct port? The WAN port? Did the modem ever work with that router and give Internet out the LAN port?

Also what Broadband do you have? DSL? Cable? What brand and model is the modem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.