What..new imac 21,5" and no ethernet?

Reaction score
So I just bought a new iMac and I have no Ethernet connection. At least not when I'm connected through a switch. I have a wired network in my house where everything is connected to a switch which in it's turn is connected to a router. What I've tried so far:

1. DHCP connected to switch - fail
2. Manual settings with static ip, connected to switch - fail
3. Connecting iMac directly to router - pass
4. Wlan - pass

I have windows machines and other devices such as media players (popcorn hour) connected to this network and they all get ips and everything works fine. I have verified that routing tables are ok when I have a manual setup but still ping to my router and other machines does not work.

Any ideas? I'm ready to return this one...

The switch is a FSW-1621 - 16-Port Fast Ethernet Switch - Ethernet Switches - Home and Office Products - LevelOne (UK)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you get a light on the port on the switch when you plug in the cat-5 from the iMac? All cables wired as Straight Through and not crossover?

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, I get a light on the port and I have no cross-over cables. I have tried the same cable with two different windows machines. They work with both static and dhcp. Really strange.

When I setup everything manually I get connected and a green light in the network preferences window but still I can't reach anything on the network...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 imac dual core 3.33Ghz 8 Gb ram
no ethernet

I`m having the exact same problem,as I type.I lost my connection but,my asus laptop works fine.I was running intego AV with a firewall,but ripped that out when I lost my connection.Ran my clean app,ran my spring cleaning,and did a custom search.for intego.took out everything.even ran my onyx.I am having problems with my HD thou,having to run the disk utility twice for a Damaged dr.and even got the falling Grey screen with the power off message. twice.I hope its not the controller:Grimmace: this is one of the new imacs 21.5 with a 3.33mhz and 8gbs of ram.worked like a charm so far

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
I have all the same equipment as above...no problems...4 mo. and counting...

OP
M
Reaction score
Switch was the problem

As I suspected, the switch was the problem here. I talked with the vendor (Level1) and they confirmed compatibility issues with Mac, I changed the switch to a Netgear and everything works fine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just for the record and in case others have this issue, do you know what brand and model that switch was that did not work with your Mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.