Printer Suggestions

O

october

Can someone help me with some printer suggestions?

I want to use it for printing photos, which I was thinking of getting one of those small toaster looking ones just for photos, but I would want to be able to print normal paper as well.

My price range is looking around $100-$200.

I also would like for it to be somewhat small..due to small desk space.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The Canon PIXMA IP4000 is a very good deal. It prints photos on special photopaper as well as normal paper, has a duplex-unit (means it can print on both sides of a sheet of paper) and can even print CDs and DVDs (only those with special inkjet coating of course). It's pretty fast, has very good printing quality and it's cheap in ink too, as you can exchange the cartridges for each color separately.
It's at $114.99 at Amazon.com right now, so for it's functionalities and quality a real bargain...

Oh, and of course it works perfectly with a Mac :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
my first recommendation is a canon, they're great all around, quality, price, maintenance, etc. epson also makes some very high quality printers that aren't too expensive, their stylus photo line is more for photos, but can be used for anything, though the ink cartridges is a little expensive, I notice canon printers get a lot more prints per ink changing, and canon uses individual inks, making it cheaper to replace. canon and epson are probably your best bet, stay away from hp, lexmark is ok, though they often offer very few features compared to epson and canon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Avalon said:
The Canon PIXMA IP4000 is a very good deal. It prints photos on special photopaper as well as normal paper, has a duplex-unit (means it can print on both sides of a sheet of paper) and can even print CDs and DVDs (only those with special inkjet coating of course). It's pretty fast, has very good printing quality and it's cheap in ink too, as you can exchange the cartridges for each color separately.
It's at $114.99 at Amazon.com right now, so for it's functionalities and quality a real bargain...

Oh, and of course it works perfectly with a Mac :cool:
I have the ip3000, the ink lasts forever, I bought it, and didn't change any ink til almost 8 months after printing many, many full page color graphics and such. it prints on any type of paper I want to use so far, even fancier papers I trim down to size to print on, and duplexing is great, too bad it doesn't auto align things for you.

OP
O

october

The Canon PIXMA IP4000 looks good to me..

so now..How would I hook a printer up to a network (aka my 2 macs)? Does it connect to a host computer and the other one connects through network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
can't comment on the network question, but my vote is in for the cannon either 3000 or 4000. i've got the ip3000 and couldn't be happier!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D 24" and MB C2D
does anyone have any good recommendations for an all-in-one printer in the under $200 price range? (sorry for the hijack)

OP
O

october

amendolair said:
does anyone have any good recommendations for an all-in-one printer in the under $200 price range? (sorry for the hijack)

no problem.. It's good to use space wisely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
october said:
The Canon PIXMA IP4000 looks good to me..

so now..How would I hook a printer up to a network (aka my 2 macs)? Does it connect to a host computer and the other one connects through network?
you can either connect it to one mac and use that as a host, print over the network from the other mac, or connect it directly to a router if you use one, and if it has a usb port.

OP
H

Harryc

Another option is an ethernet/LAN attached usb print server and to use CUPs. I am also curious about USB printer sharing directly connected to a mac, and how to set it up. Can anyone post a few lines to get us started?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2 GHz, 20"
amendolair said:

I have a HP PSC 1350 all-in-one and works great with Tiger... :)

cheers - pistooli

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.