Reading on the iPad..for real!

Reaction score
I've read several times that reading with iBooks or other reading application is not that pleasant. Anyone could give some feedback on their own experience reading books on the iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Here's my question: do you read things on your monitor?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here's my question: do you read things on your monitor?

Brilliant Kash...Brilliant!!!:)

You must have had a Red Bull today!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PC Baby!
iPad reads great. Many people like me have sold there Sony, Kindle .... Readers because the iPad is better for them. There are some people who like the dull eInk display of current readers, but many prefer the iPad....

Also on the ipad you are not limited by format. I can read ePubs (iBooks, Kobo reader) or PDF (Goodreader) Kindle (Kindle app) Fictionwise or eReader.com (ereader app) all on the iPad. The others are restrictive.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Personally, i seriously doubt that most of the ones writing those articles have used the iPad, as in more than what was required for the review they wrote. I doubt most of them even own one of the e-ink readers either. What you're seeing is the reiteration of one of the reasons behind the advent of e-ink technology. In most cases a poor reiteration because they don't have a clue and are just re-stating what they saw as one of the cons in one of the other reviews they read before writing their own.

The primary issue for most folks is that they have never learned how to use the brightness level on their computer monitors to adjust for existing lighting conditions and their own light sensitivity.

I have never met anyone as light sensitive as I am. Just asked the wife, says she hasn't either. I am probably one of the few that have never lost a pair of sun glasses, at least not during the daytime... because I am unable to get 2 feet outside the door. Quite literally, I cannot see moving from one lighting condition to another.

This is drastically more important reading text on a screen than it is with watching video. Just think about it, staring at a white lit up screen really isn't much different than looking at a lit light bulb. Between staring at Excel spreadsheets all day at work, plus my home computing habits... imho, if I can learn how to adjust brightness levels, which I do multiple times a day, then anyone else can also.

People are going to be subject to eyestrain, whether it's from staring at a computer monitor, a musician staring at sheet music, or reading a regular old printed book for hours during the day.

Reaction score
Personally, i seriously doubt that most of the ones writing those articles have used the iPad, as in more than what was required for the review they wrote. I doubt most of them even own one of the e-ink readers either. What you're seeing is the reiteration of one of the reasons behind the advent of e-ink technology. In most cases a poor reiteration because they don't have a clue and are just re-stating what they saw as one of the cons in one of the other reviews they read before writing their own.

The primary issue for most folks is that they have never learned how to use the brightness level on their computer monitors to adjust for existing lighting conditions and their own light sensitivity.

People are going to be subject to eyestrain, whether it's from staring at a computer monitor, a musician staring at sheet music, or reading a regular old printed book for hours during the day.

I agree completely with what you said. Heck, the ONLY time I notice eyestrain/fatigue is when my monitor is too DIM! Reading on the iPad will be just as nice as reading on my iPhone, and BETTER than reading on any of my computers because I'll be able to hold it just like a book or magazine.

Reaction score
Well, I have noticed a difference. I can read longer on the nook than I can on my laptop without taking a break. Also, it is a lot easier to read on the nook out at the beach then with the laptop. In fact, using the IPad outside with the sunlight was hard to see and the Nook was a breeze. There are ups and downs for both but I plan on buying another Nook for us and avoiding the IPad for now. I want something that can be used as a reader outdoors. :)

Reaction score
Well, I have noticed a difference. I can read longer on the nook than I can on my laptop without taking a break. Also, it is a lot easier to read on the nook out at the beach then with the laptop. In fact, using the IPad outside with the sunlight was hard to see and the Nook was a breeze. There are ups and downs for both but I plan on buying another Nook for us and avoiding the IPad for now. I want something that can be used as a reader outdoors. :)

I'll bet what's making the bigger difference in your comfort between the nook & laptop are the drastic ergonomic differences of the two devices.

I rarely read more than a few paragraphs on any of my computers (unless I absolutely have to) but will spend an hour on my iPhone without even thinking about it. I'll bet the iPad will be even more fun to read on.

April 30 can't come soon enough!

Reaction score
Nope, I like to read at the beach and you can't read on the Iphone or the IPad. I have tried both...

Just not good for me.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

You're definitely correct about trying to read out in full sunshine that a kindle or nook would be better. However, since putting the anti-glare screen on my iPad, the only issue now is with the sun shining directly on it. Even with just a slight angle it is now readable, and with the screen in my own shadow or sitting in the shade, feel it's every bit as good as our kindle.

For those wanting a device strictly for reading text, I would also recommend saving the difference in price and go with one of the ereaders on the market. Well, unless your reading is done primarily in dark or poorly lit rooms, then the iPad wins hands down.

There is also something to be said for a 7 day battery.

They each have their place within the niche.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro with 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3, 500GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm, HiRes AntiGla
I have a sony reader that is great, and I read books on my iphone. (havent recieved my ipad yet) So I have experience with both types of screens. Yes, the sony reader looks more like an actual piece of paper but I LOVE reading on my iphone. I have spent hours reading on it with stanza. iBook is one of the main reasons that I am getting an ipad and im sure i will use it more than any other app. So personally, i have never gotten eye strain or fatigue reading on my iphone.

Reaction score
I was skeptical of the iPad's usefulness as an eReader. I was wrong.

It is extremely pleasing, and easily customizable for particular needs. As mentioned, brightness can have a great effect on comfort, and the iPad makes dialing in a sweet spot quite simple. As the selection of titles increases I can imagine this device easily overtaking the Kindle.

I'm a relatively new convert to Apple products (iPhone and now iPad), and am glad I made the leap.

Reaction score
I know people who have tried to use an LCD-screen device to read books on and have had a problem with it. A genuine problem. That said I have read on an LCD screen in the past as my primary method of reading books, and I didn't have any issues with getting headaches or blurry vision or anything.

If you sit at your computer screen for hours on end and read for the majority of that time, then that should be a good indicator of whether or not you would like an iPad as an ebook reader.

Reaction score
I'm not saying that you can't read on it. I just couldn't easily read on it out in the sun where I like to read. E-ink works better for this...

I'll stick to my e-reader for now.

Reaction score
I've been reading on my Ipod Touch using Ereader for some time. As noted, it's good everywhere but in bright sunlight. I do use it at the beach under an umbrella and it's ok. I only take one paper book on vacation anymore so I have something to read until flight attendant says it's ok to fire up the Touch. I'm thinking the Ipad is going to be even better.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks all for your feedback I really appreciate! I don't read that much, I am more into reading magazines and comics, not only books books and I'm not gonna buy an iPad just for reading so I should be good :)

Reaction score
I've read several times that reading with iBooks or other reading application is not that pleasant. Anyone could give some feedback on their own experience reading books on the iPad?

Well, depends on what you read. If you read books with print only, then e-ink will be easier on your eyes. If you read magazines or books with colour photos or prints, then the greyscale on kindle, sony or nook is just not as attractive as the colour LCD on the iPad.

Personally, I find the iPad really good. There is concern that your eyes will tire from the glare of the LCD screen but it is not recommended that you read for more than a few hours at a time anyway.

I am glad I bought the iPad for reading as the LCD screen IS really awesome!!

C

chas_m

Nope, I like to read at the beach and you can't read on the Iphone or the IPad. I have tried both...

Just not good for me.

Not trying to diminish or dismiss your rationale, but if you're sitting around reading -- anything, even paper books -- in direct sunlight, this is ill-advised.

You should be doing your beach reading in the shade, both for the sake of your skin health as well as your eye health.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.