• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Thought I'd share a story about mac vs pc that makes me laugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook
So, I just received my new macbook yesterday in the mail. I've had 3 macs before, so I already knew how much I loved them-but this situation just reassured me. Today my mom bought a new Dell laptop. It's a decent model with decent specs. I was helping her set up her iTunes and she decided to open a video she had bought off of the store(mind you she'd only been using the laptop for an hour). She went to open it and the computer froze for about 30 seconds. I got on my new macbook immediately(which has lower specs and is used) and opened up our shared files. I clicked on the video and it started playing within 10 seconds. Maybe no one else will find this as hilarious as I did. That is all :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. But more to the point - is your Mum still speaking to u?

OP
sapphirenative
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook
Yes, she is. All I did was giggle it off and throw in a "should of bought a mac today..."
When we were at Best Buy, I drug her over to the table that they have all of the macs on. She took one look at the prices and chuckled. All I had to say was "so worth it"
She never wants to admit that macs are amazing, but today when she was taking a look over my macbook she goes "I have to admit, your macbook is awesome"

Also, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
Yes, she is. All I did was giggle it off and throw in a "should of bought a mac today..."
When we were at Best Buy, I drug her over to the table that they have all of the macs on. She took one look at the prices and chuckled. All I had to say was "so worth it"
She never wants to admit that macs are amazing, but today when she was taking a look over my macbook she goes "I have to admit, your macbook is awesome"

Also, thanks!

I'd have to agree with you there. The Mac's or any Apple product is usually pretty expensive, but you get what you pay for. I've had my MBP since Monday, and have never been so pleased with a laptop like this one.

This is easily my favorite laptop I've owned. And it's amazing to that it doesn't freeze up like my old PCs did, it just operates smoothly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Maybe no one else will find this as hilarious as I did. That is all :Smirk:

Hope you were able to hold the guffaws until you were, or she was, in another room. ;)

OP
sapphirenative
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook
I'd have to agree with you there. The Mac's or any Apple product is usually pretty expensive, but you get what you pay for. I've had my MBP since Monday, and have never been so pleased with a laptop like this one.

This is easily my favorite laptop I've owned. And it's amazing to that it doesn't freeze up like my old PCs did, it just operates smoothly.

I completely agree. Every PC I've owned has only lasted me 2 or 3 years. The powerbooks and ibook I owned were bought in 2008 and they were still running smoothly, look how old they are. I think that apple builds their products to last.

Tomacsh, I laughed. I couldn't help it. I tried to stop myself but it didn't work :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Try and keep in mind that iTunes may not run nearly as well on an Windows machine vs a Mac. If she continuously runs into such issues with iTunes, you might suggest that she try a different media player.

Personally speaking, I don't even use iTunes as I prefer Songbird. But if she has a lot of money invested in iTunes media, in the form of movies and such, then this may prove to be a futile suggestion from me.

Doug

Reaction score
I completely agree. Every PC I've owned has only lasted me 2 or 3 years. The powerbooks and ibook I owned were bought in 2008 and they were still running smoothly, look how old they are. I think that apple builds their products to last.

Tomacsh, I laughed. I couldn't help it. I tried to stop myself but it didn't work :Evil:

Totally agree. you get what you pay for

OP
sapphirenative
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook
Try and keep in mind that iTunes may not run nearly as well on an Windows machine vs a Mac. If she continuously runs into such issues with iTunes, you might suggest that she try a different media player.

Personally speaking, I don't even use iTunes as I prefer Songbird. But if she has a lot of money invested in iTunes media, in the form of movies and such, then this may prove to be a futile suggestion from me.

Doug

I would, but she has bought quite a few things on the iTunes store. I did get to play with the computer again today and it froze atleast 3 times. :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
I would, but she has bought quite a few things on the iTunes store. I did get to play with the computer again today and it froze atleast 3 times. :Evil:

iTunes on the PC isn't that great of a program. It freezes up like that all the time. A proper descriptor would be "bloated and slow." Sometimes I think Apple purposefully made it such a piece of crap in order to get people to thinking it's the PCs fault and then get them to switch to a mac. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
Great story. I have a laugh every day in our household. My wife, and daughter still have Windows machines, and when they first switch on, they take an age, and the same can be said when they shut down.

So what I do now if Im not doing anything is shut down my MBP the same time, 5 seconds, and its closed, pour myself a drink, and sit with them whilst waiting for there windows systems to shut down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
iTunes on the PC isn't that great of a program. It freezes up like that all the time. A proper descriptor would be "bloated and slow." Sometimes I think Apple purposefully made it such a piece of crap in order to get people to thinking it's the PCs fault and then get them to switch to a mac. ;D

I am not so sure Apple would do something like that because they make money on iTunes no matter what OS you use and the fact they say the iPod,iPad and Apple TV can be used on your PC they still make money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
I am not so sure Apple would do something like that because they make money on iTunes no matter what OS you use and the fact they say the iPod,iPad and Apple TV can be used on your PC they still make money.

Was joking about it being on purpose....hence the ;D

It is bloated on slow on the PC though

OP
sapphirenative
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook
Great story. I have a laugh every day in our household. My wife, and daughter still have Windows machines, and when they first switch on, they take an age, and the same can be said when they shut down.

So what I do now if Im not doing anything is shut down my MBP the same time, 5 seconds, and its closed, pour myself a drink, and sit with them whilst waiting for there windows systems to shut down.

I started tapping my foot. I couldn't help myself!

iTunes was slow on my PC. I bought one in 2008 and had been using it up until February of this year(everything broke on it, one feature after another)

Happy to be back to my mac though :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13inch 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120GB HDD, iPhone 3g 3.1.3, iPod Touch 2g
this is actually awesome haha! im like this with all my friends computers :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.