Preview has better sound than Itunes in OSX ??

Reaction score
Hello to everyone, I'm not sure if anyone noticed this, but when you're searching for some mp3s in your Mac, try to play it from preview window, and play the same song in Itunes, you will notice big difference in quality. Last time when I was importing songs into library, I have disabled loudness option, but this didn't do the trick. Does anyone know why Itunes is affecting quality of original mp3 after import. Thanks.

p.s. I'm outputting mp3 to NAD amplifier and Wharfedale Diamond speakers I can notice big difference in sound quality, if you can recommend some other player than Itunes, Songbird, or Cog , I would be grateful, because preview sounds better than all of them ????

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd suggest checking your equalizer settings in iTunes. With it either off or set to totally flat response, there is no difference here.

C

chas_m

The OP probably also has "SoundCheck" enabled on his iTunes, that will raise or lower volume to be in harmony with other tracks, which can also lead to a perception of lower "sound quality."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'd assume that Preview and iTunes use the same audio engine, so it's likely that the above two answers are where to start looking. Make sure EQ is flat, and volume equalization is off, and that no other audio settings within iTunes preferences was set to on by mistake etc..

Which NAD amp are you using btw ? An integrated receiver, or separates ?

Doug

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks for your responses, I did disable all Itunes options before import, and I'm not using equalizer (actually I got better sound with EQ on with some songs). I'm using old 3225 NAD, it's pretty good, and cheap on the internet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.