Random Numbers in C

Reaction score
OK, I have been trying for about an hour now to get this to work. I'm trying to generate a random number and display a line of text based on that number. This is what I have so far.

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <time.h>

int main()
{

srand(time(NULL));
	int number = rand() % 3;

if (number = 1)
		printf("This is the first line of text.\n");

if (number = 2)
		printf("This is the second line of text.\n");
}

I want this to print either "This is the first line of text." or "This is the second line of text.". When I compile and run it, it prints both. Can someone help me with this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
I assume you figured it out, but just in case you didn't, the problem is that you're using the assignment operator (=) in your comparisons instead of the correct == operator. Also, considering that you want to print either one line of text or the other, you might want to consider using an if/else construction.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Also, you aren't accounting for the very real possibility that number = 0. If you only want to check for 1 and 2, then you need "(rand() % 3) + 1)" to cover that..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
Also, you aren't accounting for the very real possibility that number = 0. If you only want to check for 1 and 2, then you need "(rand() % 3) + 1)" to cover that..

Regards
Or more simply, if only two options are wanted, int number = rand() % 2; followed by a check for 0 or 1 would be best.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.