• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

ID Theft for Monoprice customers!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I received a call about a month ago from Master Card about a fraudulent purchase on my card that they detected. $1.00 Apple iTunes purchase. I confirmed it wasn't mine and shredded the card and they issued me a new card. Today I received a letter from Monoprice that warned that customers' credit card info could have been stolen from their database server. I purchased a USB cable from them shortly before that fraudulent iTunes purchase on my Master Card. You might want to double-check your card activity if you purchased from Monoprice during this time frame.

This is an excerpt from the letter they sent me:
We recently became aware that some customers' credit card information, together with the customers' names, addresses, and telephone numbers, may have been stolen from our database server. The potential data theft may have affected customers who placed orders through our website from February 23 through March 5, 2010. Some customers who placed orders through our website and later canceled the orders after providing their credit card information may also have been affected.

I do not blame Monoprice and I acknowledge that any retailer could be targeted for credit card info. It happens... It happened to me! :eek:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, they were compromised. Their response was to shut down their web site and bring in the authorities immediately. I believe they had the site off-line for 4 days while they worked on this issue. From what I've seen, they have been working diligently both for their and their customers behalf since it came to light.

Reaction score
Omg!

Holy crap man!

The same thing happened to me! We used my sisters debit card to order a usb wire for my printer and shes been getting iTunes charges like crazy!!!!!

I guess this is what its from...dam. Gonna have to make a call in the morning.

Thanks alot for sharing this man.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.