View Full Version : Mac OS X help!

04-14-2010, 10:08 PM
ok my mac OS X is about 5 years old and it runs SOOO Slow now. it is the family computer so it has a bunch of crap that is downloaded. my mom says we should get the hard drive cleared or something but i think we should start fresh with a new mac. lots of the online games i used to always play never work anymore i just get disconnected. also at my friends house i see them playing on Extrema detail with no lag but with mine on Extremely poor details it lags like a mother. i got a wireless router wich dosnt seem to make any trouble but i relly want to drastically increase the speed of my mac. is it worth it getting it 'tuned or fixed' up? or would it be faster if i bought a new one

04-14-2010, 10:23 PM
It probably just needs a tune-up.

Start here and let us know how you make out:

04-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Have you tried OnyX... it helps clean a lot of stuff and helps tune the system up...

04-15-2010, 09:38 AM
You can do a lot to help your Mac regain its former speed by clearing out the crud. After backing up the pictures, music etc that's important to you, try a full erase and reinstall (if you have an Intel Mac, now would be a REALLY good time to put Snow Leopard on).

Set up fresh new accounts, restore the pics/music/docs from your backup, reinstall only the software you REALLY NEED, and your old Mac should behave like new.

Five years, however, is about the length of peak life of a computer these days, so while I recommend the above first, you should at least start saving towards your next computer.

05-08-2010, 11:05 PM

05-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Did the suggestions the guys have made thus far make any difference? Also, How much free space is left on your boot drive? OS X starts to really bog down as the drive gets full. Some users have noticed a slowdown if there is about 15% or less of free space left. If you are at that point try freeing up some additional drive space and see if that helps.

05-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Please read forum rules re: "bumping" and descriptive titles. The purpose of this forum is well-described in yours.

Did the suggestions the guys have made thus far make any difference?
Good question!