• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

as excited as I was for the iphone to go CDMA...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
it looks like this new 4g HTC will bring it to it's knees.

1gb processor! 512mb of ram! 720p video recording and an 8mp camera..

HTC EVO 4G is Sprint's Android-powered knight in superphone armor, we go hands-on -- Engadget

Cellphones, Mobile Handsets
HTC EVO 4G is Sprint's Android-powered knight in superphone armor, we go hands-on
By Paul Miller posted Mar 23rd 2010 4:26PM
Hands-On
Breaking News
We've been rumoring a WiMAX "HTC Supersonic" for a while now, and Sprint just dropped the hard news: the phone will be dubbed the HTC EVO 4G, will be released this Summer and it's easily the best specced phone we've ever witnessed. The hardware is of quite obvious HD2 descent, but with Android onboard and some nice aesthetic tweaks, the EVO 4G takes on a life of its own. The handset is centered around a 480 x 800 4.3-inch TFT LCD, with a Snapdragon QSD8650 1GHz processor under the hood (the CDMA version of the QSD8250 in the HD2 and Nexus One), and even a helpful 1GB of built-in memory and 512MB of RAM -- hello app storage! Even the battery is bigger than the HD2, and the camera is an 8 megapixel monstrosity with flash, that's capable of 720p video, and is augmented by a 1.3 megapixel front facing camera for good measure. The phone features HDMI out (though you'll need an adapter for turning it into a TV-familiar HDMI plug), 802.11b/g WiFi, and an 8GB microSD card. There's that still-rare Android 2.1 underneath an updated version of HTC's Sense UI. But... despite all these wild features, what actually sets the EVO 4G apart is the fact that it's Sprint's first 4G phone. The handset runs a combo of EV-DO Rev. A and WiMAX, with calls still being made over CDMA and the EV-DO / WiMAX options for data. Interestingly, it sounds like concurrent data and voice use might be possible for the first time on CDMA carrier in this way (killing AT&T's well-advertised differentiator), though Sprint says that's still in the testing phase. One other new feature is the Sprint hotspot app, another MiFi-style connection sharing number, which is obviously aided greatly by the WiMAX on board and can support up to eight concurrent users. Follow after the break for our hands-on impressions and videos of the phone in action, including an up-close-and-personal test of the touchscreen keyboard. Below you'll find galleries of the phone by its lonesome and up against the Nexus One and iPhone 3G.

htc-evo-4g-01-top.jpg

htc-evo-4g-02-hands-1269376818.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Meh, I'll wait and see. Every new "Smartphone" these days is billed as the iPhone killer yet somehow the iPhone keeps marching on.

Enjoy your new phone when you get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And every all-in-one computer was supposed to be a imac killer.
And every notebook were supposed to be macbook pro killers.
And the list goes on. Just because a computer has more specs than an Apple product be it desktop or mobile, does not means it'll sell more. You need the entire package. Hardware/software/customer service all working together as a solid friendly easy to use unit. That's how you make a product that sells itself.

Yes that phone has more stats then the iphone. But does it have a better ap store with more apps? Does the company that made it have better customer service than Apple?

I think you have your answer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
it looks like this new 4g HTC will bring it to it's knees.

It started out great at "4G', but then it got to the HTC part and you lost me.

A solid product starts with quality. Specs are secondary if the device is unreliable and cheaply made. That pretty much is HTC in a nutshell. HTC=High Tech Crap.

Reaction score
Im sorry but the UI on android and win mobile still seem way to cluttered for me, I love the simplistic design of the iPhone still. I bet the new 4th gen iPhone will be even better. And windows mobile 7 ewwwwwwww ;) I love my iPhone :D I think this 3g iPhone is the longest I have held onto a phone now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
It started out great at "4G', but then it got to the HTC part and you lost me.

A solid product starts with quality. Specs are secondary if the device is unreliable and cheaply made. That pretty much is HTC in a nutshell. HTC=High Tech Crap.

I can not agree with that statement. You might have owned an HTC phone before, and chances are you might have had one of their crap products. I don't deny that they've made some pretty crappy stuff. However, they do also make some very decent products, even if the number of crappy things out numbers the former. One of my favorite phones was an HTC Tilt. Built like a brick S house, a battery that lasted quite a long time (and was interchangeable), precise turn by turn GPS and quite honestly, all I really needed.

Yeah ... the app store. What can I say about it other than it serves up a plethora of silly things which Apple tells us that we need, rather that useful things that we really want. (tethering anybody ?) Ok, I'm not denying that some apps are neat (for a while), but when it comes down to the brass.. the apps I use the most, are those which are already part of the OS. Google Maps, mail, the browser ... And the other apps I really use, are the same apps which can be found on any Android phone, or at least have an equal.

Such as instant messaging clients (Fring, Skype, eBuddy Nimbuzz etc), music streaming apps (Slacker, Pandora etc.. ) Weather apps, GPS.. ALL can be found for the Android OS.

What would I be missing? Fart apps ? Connect 4 ? A fake 'level' app ? Oh, I know.. Zippo lighter app ! Yeah, I'd miss that one for sure. O:)

Look, the Android platform has already proven its self with plenty of users. If the hardware specs on this new HTC allow it to run as smoothly as it should (given those specs) then it doesn't matter if it's an "iPhone killer" or not. I think we're kind of past the days of childish names for phones, no ? And besides, it's never really the users whom relegate names such as iPod killer.. it's these lame @ss tech publications ! We simply take such things to heart, and start quibbling over it all. Like good little sheep, we follow the leader.

I'm proud to say though, I'm not one of them. I go with what works. I tried the iPhone (I still use it. it's sitting right next to me) and thought it was alright. I was never really 'enchanted' with it though. Not like people said I would be. And it's not like I fought trying to be, either. But I think I'm ready to try something else again, and when I get back to the States, I don't want to deal with crappy ATT to begin with.

The iPhone GUI feels really tired to me. I'm bored with it. Would probably happen with any phone, really. If Apple were to refresh the OS a whole lot, it would be a different story. At least with an Android phone, I'd have the option to tweak the heck out of the GUI, and all without having to jump through jail break hoops. Anyway, it would be nice if this new HTC was as physically capable as the OS is technically capable. Would make a nice match.

Doug

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doug, I've handled at a lot of smart phones in my professional life and have yet to see an HTC product that wasn't a piece of garbage. Just my opinion. Android OS is great, but it's a shame that the majority of hardware that runs it is HTC. You can say a lot of negative things about Motorola, but at least the Droid is well built and doesn't feel like a cheap Chinese knock-off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz i5 OS X 10.6.3
Before I picked up my iPhone I had come across the HTC HD2 and was really impressed. Fortunately, it was not available in the US. So, I picked up an iPhone which led to an iPod for my car's audio system which then in turn led me to make the switch.

HTC does indeed build some quality phones now but they are either WinMo which is fussy and terribly or Android which I have little first hand experience with.

To me, HTC seems to be a mish-mash of phones, operating systems, and features. They have different interfaces for WinMo and their resistive touchscreen models seem slow and clunky. If they could ever get their design and OS choices to be consistent they would really have something appealing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
Running Android; not worth looking at :p.

C

chas_m

No Apple App Store = FAIL.

Simple as that, really. I'm sure they'll find a niche if its not a typical HTC (ie crap) product though ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Running Android; not worth looking at :p.

Simple as that, really. I'm sure they'll find a niche if its not a typical HTC (ie crap) product though ...

lol. And these are exactly the reasons as to why Apple doesn't have to care about what anybody but Apple, cares about. Scary mentality there, really. Do you guys truly think this way, or is there more sarcasm to it than anything ? I'm inclined to believe the former, but would love to be wrong.

doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Doug, I've handled at a lot of smart phones in my professional life and have yet to see an HTC product that wasn't a piece of garbage. Just my opinion. Android OS is great, but it's a shame that the majority of hardware that runs it is HTC. You can say a lot of negative things about Motorola, but at least the Droid is well built and doesn't feel like a cheap Chinese knock-off.

I gotta disagree, I have a Nexus One (built by HTC) and it's a solidly built device. So is the HTC HD2 both well built in the hardware department.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

I don't agree with that, the only time I ever used the AppStore was on my iPad
never once used it on my iPhone, Everything I needed is in Cydia.
But then again I don't use an iPhone anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol. And these are exactly the reasons as to why Apple doesn't have to care about what anybody but Apple, cares about. Scary mentality there, really. Do you guys truly think this way, or is there more sarcasm to it than anything ? I'm inclined to believe the former, but would love to be wrong.

doug

I'm not saying I agree with them but why does that matter? They gave their opinions just like you did. If they think that way so be it, but I don't see why it would be a surpprise on an Apple centric forum such as this. Insulting their mentality or insinuating that there is something wrong with them becasue they like Apple producst seems a bit much, much as someone insinuating that you are inferior or insulting you if you don't love Apple products. To each their own.

C

chas_m

Scary mentality there, really

Not really.

I can't speak for others, but I'm not really an Apple fan. I'm an *ELEGANCE* fan. As David Pogue once said, the minute someone GENUINELY builds a better mousetrap than Apple does, we're gone.

The basic problem is that very VERY few companies manage to build better mousetraps than Apple most of the time. Good case in point: the Kindle versus the iPad. Contrast that with Intuos versus the iPad. One of those two has a good reason to be worried; the other doesn't (at least at present).

Bless these other companies for trying, of course, but most of them just don't even come close. A few do: Android, Palm (if they survive, which looks unlikely), Blackberry, just some examples. Some companies get it right PART of the time: how many people here own Microsoft keyboards or mice, or an XBox? Or prefer MS Office?

I'm not as close-minded on the idea of other companies achieving Apple-like levels of quality and "product cycle harmony" if you will, as you apparently think -- but past experience has shown that the safe money is to bet on Apple, particularly in areas where they are already clearly the market leader (like smartphones).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not really.

I can't speak for others, but I'm not really an Apple fan. I'm an *ELEGANCE* fan. As David Pogue once said, the minute someone GENUINELY builds a better mousetrap than Apple does, we're gone.

The basic problem is that very VERY few companies manage to build better mousetraps than Apple most of the time. Good case in point: the Kindle versus the iPad. Contrast that with Intuos versus the iPad. One of those two has a good reason to be worried; the other doesn't (at least at present).

Bless these other companies for trying, of course, but most of them just don't even come close. A few do: Android, Palm (if they survive, which looks unlikely), Blackberry, just some examples. Some companies get it right PART of the time: how many people here own Microsoft keyboards or mice, or an XBox? Or prefer MS Office?

I'm not as close-minded on the idea of other companies achieving Apple-like levels of quality and "product cycle harmony" if you will, as you apparently think -- but past experience has shown that the safe money is to bet on Apple, particularly in areas where they are already clearly the market leader (like smartphones).

You know Chas I'm going to be honest with you here, Up until this post I never really liked you. But that was so well said and made a lot of sense, I now respect you my friend.

Cheers :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Baggs man, you're always putting words in people's mouth's. I never "insulted" anybody's mentality. If you take what I said as such, (which you obviously did or you are just looking to get in a tizzy again) then you have a HUGE chip on your shoulder. Can you EVER just take anything at face value rather than add your own little spin on them ? Also, I never said that anything was wrong with anybody. Read what's there, and not what the voices in your head are telling you are there.

I won't bother breaking it down for you, because no matter what I say.. you ALWAYS take the offensive and are ready to battle it out over absolutely nothing. What I will say though is this: It's one thing to have an opinion about something that you have experience with, and something else entirely, to feel that you should have an opinion about something which you have absolutely NO experience with whatsoever.

Statements such as "Running Android; not worth looking at" does more than imply that such a person hasn't even bothered "LOOKING" at, let alone has tried said OS. So why are they even entitled to an opinion about it ? LOL.. that's ridiculous sir, and you know it. Don't defend people based on the fact that just because this is an Apple centric forum. That's actually more insulting to their intelligence than anything else, as it implies that they're too closed minded or dim witted to try anything outside the sphere of influence which the Apple community provides.

And why is it a surprise ? Oh, I dunno.. maybe because despite the fact that this is an Apple centric forum, the people here are more than just Apple androids (no pun intended, but that was good) .. they're actually humans whom are capable of handling life outside of the Apple shield ! haha.. come on dude, really.

Lastly.. stop trying to be everyone's daddy. No one needs you to fight these imaginary battles for them. The people you're so blindly defending, I'm sure are more than capable of sticking up for themselves. You really have no idea I suppose, that you're doing more harm than good, in that you think they're not capable of standing up for their beliefs or "opinions". I realize you're a smart guy, so I'm sure you understand that concept, and I only wish you'd adhere to a more logical viewpoint every time you have an itch to start something like this.

Anyway, this is now way off topic, (as usual when this happens) and I bare no ill will against you, so I'll respectfully refrain from any further comments.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So telling them that their mentality is "scary" isn't an insult? Could have fooled me.

Again, everyone stated their opinions. Your previous post on the subject was quite well written and I didn''t diagree with you on much of it. I'm not defending anyone, I'm simply considering how friendly overall this forum is. Open debate is fine, insulting people views by saying they are "scary" isn't a very pleasant thing to say and I frankly would expect better from you.

People here can handle life however they choose, but to be surprised by a pro Apple attitude here seems just a little disingenuous at best. As for the rest of your post, well, pot - kettle - black.

Respond as you like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not really.

I actually agree with the eloquence of your and David's statement. (how much of that was what David Said?) However, the main and very basic problem that still exists here, the mentality of this issue, is that the masses will not attempt to wrap their heads around anything "new" ie; from a company other than Apple, unless it has been channeled through the proper "gurus" and tech groupies and has had the approval of every geek and their mother. And even then, it would still need to be given a "non-negative" review from both Apple fans as well as Apple tech writers and commentators.

Only then, will the average Apple fan possibly THINK about "looking" the other way for just a moment. How then, is any product supposed to even get on to an even playing field ? Let's say for a moment, hypothetically speaking of course, that the phone being discussed in this thread does absolutely everything that an iPod can do, only it does it faster, and with more panache. Do you really think it would be acknowledged as such ? Let's set aside the adorable fart store for a moment too...

Let's say that the Android Market (or whatever it's called for a particular device) is filled with just as many useful apps as what you can get for the iPhone. Will that be acknowledged by the Apple fans/masses ? Doubt that too. Therein lies my point about 'mentality'. I'm not saying that every Apple fan has a singular hive mind mentality, but I do recognize that Windows/PC geared folks, are more likely to try something new without judging it first. I mean hey.. look at all of the Windows converts on HERE ! (heloooo... *waves*)

Doug

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I'm going to man up on this one and publicly state that I was wrong on this device.

On the recommendation of several people, and based on very positive reviews, I ended up buying an HTC Incredible. I am fairly smitten with this phone and although it's not quite as polished as an Apple product, I can't complain about it at all.

Full review here. And no, I'm not enjoying the taste of crow :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.