Couple of Questions about The iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS
Hey whats up everyone. Im going to be picking up a iPad this saterday and i have a couple of questions im hoping some people can fill me in on.

1) How is the Official Apple iPad Case? Worth getting? Im sure theres gonna be other cases in the future but i dont have time to wait for those. So thoughts on the Apple Case would be great. :Grimmace:

2) Recommand any Screen Shield? I LOVE the Anti Finger Print from SGP and they have it for the iPad so im thinking of getting that but there are a bunch of others out there. Thoughts would be nice.

3) Any online store to buy this WITHOUT tax? Its $655ish for the 32GB on the Apple Store.

Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Not sure about the case, but a warning about those screen protectors: they tend to erode away the oleophobic coating on the screen (which functions to not attract fingerprints). Also, the screen is made of glass, there isn't really much of a need to protect it with a screen shield if you're trying to avoid scratches.

OP
Tactical Apple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS
Not sure about the case, but a warning about those screen protectors: they tend to erode away the oleophobic coating on the screen (which functions to not attract fingerprints). Also, the screen is made of glass, there isn't really much of a need to protect it with a screen shield if you're trying to avoid scratches.
Isnt the glass screen the same as an iPhone/touch?

As for the screen shield. Are you talking about the SGP? Im using it for my iPhone and its great, its way less finger print then there would be without using one, even with the 3GS's "non finger print" screen. So i dont see a problem. ;D
Im talking about this one to be exact: SGP Steinheil AF Protector for Apple iPad - eBay (item 370362600330 end time May-08-10 22:38:39 PDT)

Now i doupt there wont be stratches on the screen after uses, (you never know) I can worry less because i wont be taking my iPad out of the house but still.

C

chas_m

1) How is the Official Apple iPad Case? Worth getting?

Chris Pirillo (whom I don't think much of generally) has a good video on YouTube discussing the pros and cons of the Apple case. Just look up "ipad lockergnome" and you should find it.

3) Any online store to buy this WITHOUT tax? Its $655ish for the 32GB on the Apple Store.

In the US, you can generally buy the iPad without tax in person from any authorised dealer if you live in a state with no state sales tax, such as New Hampshire or Oregon.

I'm not sure about online dealers. I would assume if the online dealer had NO physical presence in your state, they could sell you one without charging sales tax, but I don't know this for a fact. Check with your preferred online merchant.

OP
Tactical Apple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS

Chris Pirillo (whom I don't think much of generally) has a good video on YouTube discussing the pros and cons of the Apple case. Just look up "ipad lockergnome" and you should find it.

In the US, you can generally buy the iPad without tax in person from any authorised dealer if you live in a state with no state sales tax, such as New Hampshire or Oregon.

I'm not sure about online dealers. I would assume if the online dealer had NO physical presence in your state, they could sell you one without charging sales tax, but I don't know this for a fact. Check with your preferred online merchant.
Do you know any online website that sells the iPad?
I cant seem to find any besides Apple themselves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
1) I'm using the official Apple case on mine. It seems ok. I primarily bought it to hold me over until I found somethng else.
2) I had ordered the Crystal shield from SGP. It still showed finger prints. It went on fairly easy. I was thinking about ordering their Anti glare screen, but I think I'm going to hold off until Power Support starts shipping theirs. I bought the iphone one for my wife's and my iPhone and I'm happy with them.
3) I think the only place you're going to be able to order an iPad online right now is from Apple.

OP
Tactical Apple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS
1) I'm using the official Apple case on mine. It seems ok. I primarily bought it to hold me over until I found somethng else.
2) I had ordered the Crystal shield from SGP. It still showed finger prints. It went on fairly easy. I was thinking about ordering their Anti glare screen, but I think I'm going to hold off until Power Support starts shipping theirs. I bought the iphone one for my wife's and my iPhone and I'm happy with them.
3) I think the only place you're going to be able to order an iPad online right now is from Apple.
Thanks for the info, Is there any difference from the Anti Glare and the Anti fingerprint? They both seem the same.

Reaction score
1) How is the Official Apple iPad Case? Worth getting? Im sure theres gonna be other cases in the future but i dont have time to wait for those. So thoughts on the Apple Case would be great. :Grimmace:

2) Recommand any Screen Shield? I LOVE the Anti Finger Print from SGP and they have it for the iPad so im thinking of getting that but there are a bunch of others out there. Thoughts would be nice.

Thanks everyone!

1) I bought the Apple iPad case. To be honest, no i don't think it's worth getting. Why? Well, as far as looks go, it's nothing special. It feels like rubber/plastic and just don't scream "Apple". TUAW.com has a good review about it, you can read it by searching their website...

The stand doesn't really work well for it to be a digital photo frame. Mostly because I'm so scared the two inch stand it sits on is gonna fall over. Yes, I'm sure Apple tested it so maybe there's not much to worry about. But I'm just a normal guy and it looks dangerous.

One good thing about it is when you use the lap stand so the iPad is tilted when typing... That part does work well.

All in all, if your not worried about $40, then get it. But I promise you'll be looking for a quality replacement soon enough.

2) I went with the Zagg Invisible Shield. ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | Apple iPad Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

They also have Zagg Skins for the rear which you can order in one of their graphics OR upload your own. I didn't get this, but it would be cool to have protection AND a family photo or likewise.

Paulie

OP
Tactical Apple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS
Yeah i dont plan on getting the Apple Case. Too much bad things sad about it.
Im just sticking to getting these two:

SGP Steinheil AF Protector

SGP SkinGuard Cover Skin

Reaction score
not sure why you'd want a screen film . . . the iPad screen has been demontrated to withstand pretty severe treatment without scratching (my iphone 3gs has been heavily used without a screen protector with zero scratches). I've tried screen protectors in the early going and never found one that went on without bubbles, etc., so the installed product was worse on a day-to-day basis than anything that has ever happened to the screen alone.

OP
Tactical Apple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS
not sure why you'd want a screen film . . . the iPad screen has been demontrated to withstand pretty severe treatment without scratching (my iphone 3gs has been heavily used without a screen protector with zero scratches). I've tried screen protectors in the early going and never found one that went on without bubbles, etc., so the installed product was worse on a day-to-day basis than anything that has ever happened to the screen alone.
It just depends on how your using it i guess. Ive been using screen protectors for a while so i was able to install my SP on my 3GS perfectly with no bubbles and im still using it, there on tiny minor stratch on top and thats all and ive had it for months now.
The reason i want a screen protector for the iPad is because i dont know if im going to be getting the warrenty on it or anything like that. I dont know, im debating weither or not to get a SP for it. Atleast a Anti Glare because i heard its REALLY glossy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I remember reading an article where they did a scratch test on the iPad's screen, and they couldn't even get a nail to leave a mark, let alone keys or other day to day items.

The only screen covering I could imagine being useful is an anti-glare one. The scratch protectors are redundant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I'd be more worried the back of the ipad is well protected with any case you buy. Iron nails could not scratch the screen. But even keys roughly rolled over the back of the ipad left scratches. And the nail easily went through the back of the ipad.

OP
Tactical Apple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS
Im justgoing to be getting a AntiGlare/Anti Fingerprint with a Protective Flim on the back. Should do nicly since im not bring it out of the house much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.