Video Playback on IPAD Why 2 steps?

Reaction score
Anyone else irrated by the fact that when you click on Videos then select a video you then have to select AGAIN the play button?

What an idiotic step. Slows down the presentation process and kills the flow.

Anyone have a way to disable that unneccessary step?

It should be as follows:

1. Click on Videos Icon
2. Click on image of video and it plays

instead the brains at apple make you hit a third time the PLAY button because maybe your retarded and gotta make sure you REALLY want to play this video.

Are we going backwards from IPHONE to IPAD? Seems IPHONE syntax is smoother.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I thought they had the same OS, with the iPad just larger.

So why did they make it work differently? :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I thought they had the same OS, with the iPad just larger.

So why did they make it work differently? :Confused:

They are the same OS but different versions of it . The iPad is 3.2 and the iPhone / touch are 3.1.3

Clay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It is there for your spiritual suffering.

And it actually takes three clicks from the home screen on either device.

iPhone or Touch: click iPod, then Videos, then the video you want to play

Reaction score
Anyone else irrated by the fact that when you click on Videos then select a video you then have to select AGAIN the play button?

What an idiotic step. Slows down the presentation process and kills the flow.

Anyone have a way to disable that unneccessary step?

It should be as follows:

1. Click on Videos Icon
2. Click on image of video and it plays

instead the brains at apple make you hit a third time the PLAY button because maybe your retarded and gotta make sure you REALLY want to play this video.

Are we going backwards from IPHONE to IPAD? Seems IPHONE syntax is smoother.

OH MY GOD!!!! THEY DIDN'T DARE DO THAT!!!! Gosh, GOSH gosh....what a bunch of dummys! They came up with the most amazing gadget but you have to make 3 clicks, I'm saying THREE CLICKS to watch a video....OH MY GOD how terrible!

:Angry-Tongue:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
With videos on my hard drive in OSX 10.5 and 10.6 I have to double click the video then Quicktime Pops up, but nothing is playing! I have to actually click play. This is on OSX, not the iPad or iPhone. I better go back to Windows. :D

Actually I want control and want to be able to open the player window and not have the video blasting at me sound wise sometimes, and would rather have to press play after I turn down the volume!

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey Voony, obviously you dont sell for a living. Imagine meeting 30 people per day, every day for a 5 day week, each month, then each year add it up and that one extra step you talk about becomes quite a lot of irritating extra steps, especially for a fast talking, IPAD holding sales rep on his feet, on the go.

The IPAD is perfect for realtors, car dealers, property managers etc... to show products fast.

I just happen to be in a field thats more intense then those I just mentioned and yes it IS a pain in the neck. My point was, the iphone didnt have that step once you selected the video. It clearly isnt neccessary nor was it present on the iphone/ipod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
OK, take a deep breath and calm down a little bit.

That extra step isn't going to kill you. It takes what, another half second to hit the Play icon? If half a second is really going to make or break your presentation, perhaps you have other issues to work out.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Your last post is titled Idiot. If you are referring to Voony or any other user here, that is against the Community Guidelines here at Mac Forums. We allow no name calling or insulting of any user here.

I did check and in OSX's Quicktime, you can change a setting and have the video play instantly. To me on the iPad, one more click is not a large thing. I always cue up my videos and don't want them to start till I make that final click.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What he's failing to mention, for those that don't have an iPad, is what you're also getting in return for that click that you sure don't have on an iPhone or Touch. I'll take some pics later and post 'em. Make up your own minds.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Plus, if you insist on having the identical 3 clicks on the iPad that you have on the iPhone and Touch, that is available also.

Start by clicking on iPod, then Videos, then on the track you want to watch. If you keep this in list view, you now have exactly the same thing.

And, if your video is not listed there, simple trick, open up iTunes, and select the video you want listed there, right click and select Get Info. Then head for the Options tab and at the 'Media Kind' button, change it to Music video.

Now exactly the same 3 clicks you're use to, instead of the new 3 clicks.

Just as an FYI for those without an iPad, that list view you have on an iPhone, the iPad has 4 options here, showing your music videos by List, Artist, Album or by Genre.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These are some really bad pics I took last night:

Just some backup here: the iPad still has the same iPod icon plus a new Video icon. The iPod icon acts the same as it always has plus a few extra features thrown in like those noted above. All your music videos are in the iPod section, but movies and TV shows have been moved to the new Video icon. Music videos can be found in both places.

Your iPhone screenshot:
20100409-rgpcd5bw16trwcrgf8qx6mqjb5.jpg

And that's where you are after two clicks on the iPhone.

First screen of the iPad - this also shows you size relative to one another:

Movies:
20100409-pc3kat2r6igr8mqhiiiku2ijh3.jpg

TV Shows:
20100409-dmtjpbkiku8embpdu7tgfc2y48.jpg

Music Videos:
20100409-nh48f5f6jsc1jybh67amn8qcit.jpg

And that screen that's the objection in this thread and the 2nd click from the Video icon on the iPad gives you this:
20100409-qx17d7kbrquwtx9u5qa2krwrkh.jpg

Where on the iPhone and touch, you have to actually start playing the video before you have access to the chapters of the video, this screen now allows for the following:
20100409-b16qcq8ngxcwjbehmxabg5rwj8.jpg

Have multiple shows in a single season of a TV series? That objectionable screen takes you to this:
20100409-m23kg8nn42i6q68795bm7m67t8.jpg

Complete with the pic, title, the show # and a recap of each segment to help find that one you're looking for.

Bottom line: there is no "extra step" on the iPad. There's just additional features in one of the steps you're already use to taking.

OP
T
Reaction score
of roaddbeds

First off thanks for all the responses. I have tried changing the "get info" of the movie clip to "Music Video" unfortunately your video disappears from the "video" subdir and they reappear in the ipod icon list of music videos. (the orange ipod icon). They dont load any faster so I went ahead and put them back as "movies".

A copy of them also appears in the "video" subdir under "music videos" but there is no advantage whatsover to do this since it still takes that extra step to play.

No matter how you cut it you cannot get a video to just play upon tapping it. You are presented with an info screen as you can see up above in this thread.

Reaction score
Dear Tapasya, selling is actually a part of my duties at work lol. I just cannot make the connection with your comment.

I didn't mean to offend you. I was just surprised that one would complain to have to click 3 times to be able to play a video on an iPad. I guess we do not all have the same problems in life lol.

Bob: If I may ask, how is it to watch movies/tv shows on an iPad? I read somewhere that it is very enjoyable. I was wondering if it is still possible to watch videos in broad day light when it's beautiful and sunny outside?

OP
T
Reaction score
The iPad is a marvel to behold. In broad daylight it's fine but where it really turns heads and stuns clients is in the office/showroom environment. While every other rep is tied to a desktop to do presentations the iPad owners are taking their clients on tour to show properties, local attractions, restaurants and more. Laptops are clumsy and slow to boot in comparison. Plus the ability to hand the client the iPad and let him click on icons to explore potential purchases, all the while sitting in an ocean front model, gives one tremendous flexibility.

All in all the iPad truly is a "magical and revolutionary" device. I now own two and have a 3rd with 3G on the way. All 64 gb versions.

Best portable sales device ever made. Breathtaking videos, fast on the draw and just plain fun to use.

Also here is a tip I have discovered. If you want to squeeze a lot more volume out of videos go into iTunes, select all videos then right click "get info" then slide the volume bar all the way to the right to +100 percent. The result is a dramatic volume increase on the iPad.

Reaction score
Also here is a tip I have discovered. If you want to squeeze a lot more volume out of videos go into iTunes, select all videos then right click "get info" then slide the volume bar all the way to the right to +100 percent. The result is a dramatic volume increase on the iPad.

This is indeed a nice feature :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.