Major HD Error - Disk Warrior 3 No Good?

O

OctoMole

I have been alerted to major problems on my HD by Disk Doctor. Report as follows.

A major error was found in the header node of the wrapper’s Catalog B-tree.
The leaf record count is incorrect.
(11,2,20)
The problem was not fixed at user request.

I have used Disk Warrior 3 to rebuild my directory but I am still getting the same error message when I run Disk Doctor. I can still use OS9 & OSX and all applications but I am woried that one day I will lose all my data.

I have spoken to a few people about this but the only other option I have been given is to wipe my HDand re-install my OS. Having just spent the money on Disk Warrior I am a little reluctant to do this as I was hoping I would not have to spend the time sorting this out!

Any other ideas or do you think I should just bite the bullet and re-install as it may be a physical problem with the drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
ive used Drive 10, and it works somewhat.

about your computer though, if its working i dont see the need to wipe it out and reinstall. You can backup all your documents, so if something does happen and you do have to reinstall, you wont lose anything

OP
O

OctoMole

My computer will function but it has slowed down (or so it seems). I would also like to use Speed Disk but cannot do so as the same error message keeps coming up. I have only had this Mac a few months and want to get this sorted as it may need a new HD altogether. Is it worth paying for a boot CD of Norton Utiliies, as all my attempts to create my own have failed at the last moment.

OP
G

gatorparrots

Nay to Norton.
Yea to Disk Warrior. Failing that, it's time for new hardware.

OP
O

OctoMole

I have now tried many different tests (Drive 10, Disk Warroir 3, Disk Utility + fsck -y) after rebuilding with DW3and they all give my HD a clean bill of health. However NDD is still showing the same error message as above. The Norton website suggests it may be to do with having OS9 & OSX on the same HD along with a few other possible explanations.
Having run DW3, do I assume that NDD is pants and doesn't know what it's going on about - or do I buy a boot CD and try that? I realise that it is becoming more and more likely that I will have to reinstall but I would rather not.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Warning; Warning; Will Robertson (with arming waving): :p

From what I have read Norton will trash your system. Don't trust it. It doses not work well in the OS X environment. I have read thart DW3 is better.

OP
O

OctoMole

I am beginning to think that the problem is with the Norton diagnostics and not my HD - anyone had similiar probs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
rman said:
Warning; Warning; Will Robertson (with arming waving): :p

or even Danger, Danger Will Robinson (aka, the right quote)
:D

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Thanks for the correction. lol :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.