Weird iPad Warning on Craig's List

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just saw this on message (below) on Craig's List..."warning" people not to purchase iPads just yet. Is this a bunch of B.S....or is there some truth to it?

- Nick

"Hold Off on Buying first Generation iPAD'S

Some Problems !!!

With the iPad's U.S. release to the masses on Saturday, several complaints have arisen from users experiencing difficulties with their new devices. Two of the highest-profile complaints in the early days have been weak Wi-Fi signals and confusion over USB charging of the device.

Apple's discussion forums have received a significant amount of activity regarding the Wi-Fi issue, which typically results in users receiving a significantly lower signal than computers or iPhones held in the same location relative to the access point. The reduced signal is resulting in slower performance and smaller range for many of these users. Users have also reported seeing significant fluctuations in signal.

Speculation has centered around the iPad's external shell and power-saving measures as possible reasons for the Wi-Fi performance issues. While Apple has strategically placed the iPad's Wi-Fi antennas to provide optimal reception, the device's aluminum rear enclosure almost certainly shields reception to some degree. Additionally, some users have wondered whether Apple is supplying reduced power to the Wi-Fi hardware as part of its power-saving techniques that have enabled the iPad to meet or exceed its stated 10-hour battery life in many cases. Regardless of the cause, Apple has yet to comment on the Wi-Fi situation, although it has in the past quietly addressed similar issues through software updates when possible.

A second issue experienced by users has been difficulty with charging the iPad via USB. A number of users have discovered that their iPads refuse to charge when connected to USB ports on some computers, an issue that Apple has stated is due to the required power draw for the device. In a support document posted on the issue, Apple recommends that users charge their iPads by using either the included power outlet adapter or high-power USB 2.0 ports.
When attached to a computer via a standard USB port (most PCs or older Mac computers) iPad will charge, but only when it's in sleep mode. Make sure your computer is on while charging iPad via USB. If iPad is connected to a computer that’s turned off or is in sleep or standby mode, the iPad battery will continue to drain.

The iPad's charging demand stems from its large battery that drives a significantly hungrier device than most mobile handhelds users are accustomed to charging via USB. Consequently, lower-power USB ports have difficulty keeping up with the iPad's draw, especially when the device is not in sleep mode."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
Whatever! Only problem I have is that I don't have a no need for it. It works like a dream. Super fast wifi and no problems at all charging. Didn't even have my MBP plugged in. Used it for an additional 2 hours before I went to bed. Charged MBP it the next day. iPad was fully charged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
No wifi problems here. I was a bit confused by the "not charging" message when hooked up to the laptop via USB, but it does charge when the pad is sleeping. I'm such a genius, I was able to figure out that the USB ports on that somewhat older laptop didn't pump out enough juice.

So IMO, no need for all the
panic.gif

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I am not ready to concede there is a widespread wifi issue with the number of posts related to it yet. We see just as many volume wise as we see related to Macs in general, and Dells and HPs, etc.

It is true that it is not going to charge from a great many USB computer ports, especially low end machines. My iPhone was the last straw and blew the USB ports on my Dell at the office.

Based on the two above items I would not suggest holding off the purchase to those for whom the iPad will fill a niche they're looking to fill.

It sounds more like one of the naysayers finding what ever negative they can.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well said Bobtomay. I was waiting to see what you were going to say.

You can take Bobtomay's post and put my name on the bottom as that is what I would have posted also.

Especially the WiFi issues. Search Mac Forums. We get so many complaints about Macs and WiFi. I can never duplicate them here. I don't own an iPad and at this point can't afford even the entry model, but I had a feeling it's the same issues as the other Macs.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It sounds more like one of the naysayers finding what ever negative they can.

This is sort of what I was thinking as well...that's why I asked if it was "B.S." or not. But since I don't have an iPad yet...I wanted to see what actual owners on Mac-Forums thought.

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
No problems with the WiFi here, the USB charging, I haven't tried it yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.