Xbox Live to and Airport Extreme?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Can you connect a wireless ethernet router which is connected to my xbox to connect with an airport extreme. I'm assuming so because its just a standard 802.11g, but I'm just curious to see if anyone has successfully done it.

B

badmojo

Since the Airport Extreme is also router, why would you need to connect it to another router? Curious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
you mean wirelessly?

OP
FishinFool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
PowerBookG4 said:
you mean wirelessly?

Ya...sorry I was not specific....The Wireless ethernet router (which is connected to the xbox)...can it broadcast its signal to my airport extreme

They are both 802.11g

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
FishinFool said:
Ya...sorry I was not specific....The Wireless ethernet router (which is connected to the xbox)...can it broadcast its signal to my airport extreme

They are both 802.11g

I don't think you can, to effectively "link" them you would use WDS (Wireless Distribution System) which is a feature unique to only Apple Airport's at this time AFAIK. The Linksys (or any other router) doesn't relay like WDS unless you have a Wireless Access Point (which I've never used before) but those are ~$200 and I think they are router specific, not sure.

You can run a crossover cable from the router to the AEX, and apply a different SSID to the AEX if you were looking to extend your range. You would then have to manually select the AEX SSID name when you got far enough away to disconnect from the Netgear SSID. In this situation I don't think you could use the same SSID name because the wireless clients would get confused.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.