Partitioning my HD

Reaction score
Hello,

I own a Macbook Pro Laptop and I need help partitioning my hard drive. I am trying to partition it so I can install a Windows OS on it and run PC programs. Only problem is that when I put the PC install CD in it says the destination must be in "NTFS" format (as opposed to FAT). When I open up disk utility I can not find an option for NTFS, I only see mac os extended journal version. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Apple - Support - Boot Camp
Have a look at that link. That is bootcamp. You need to use bootcamp to partition your hard drive into NTFS. (It can parition into fat also). And you with bootcamp can use either format NTFS or Fat to install windows into your mac.

This is the one area where bootcamp is better then Disk utility at partitioning hard drives. And bootcamp can also remove your windows partition if you no longer need Windows on your Mac.

Bootcamp will walk you through the windows on Mac installation. But still take a look at the link I posted above. It has some nice information.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.