"Automatic" screen resize, dim and other stuff...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 21,5
Hi Mac-Forum,

I'm still fairly new using our new iMac. It puzzles (and annoys) me that the safari windows keep changing in size (not much only an inch), it keep changing size while we are chasing the button's, especially when we go to the upper right corner of the screen, Safari reveals all open safari windows - how do I disable this "feature"?
Further, the quick launch bar in the button of the window sometimes disappears (I think my 7 year old hits all kinds of buttons - when playing with the Mac), at the same time the screen back ground light turns up and down - strange and to me quite illogical.

Best regards,
Lars :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro on OS X Mavericks
As for the Safari windows, I'm not sure why they keep changing in size.

But for it revealing all open Safari windows, you may want to check your settings for Expose. To do this, you go to System Preferences, Expose and Spaces. Under the Expose tab, make sure that the first 4 dropdown boxes are not changed to All Windows. I think your dropdown box on the top right may be changed to this. If so, that is why it is showing all your windows when your mouse hangs over that area of the screen. Safari may be the only program that you have open and that is why you are only seeing Safari windows.

As for your quick launch bar at the bottom (the Dock) you can change for it to not disappear it System Preferences as well. To do this, go to System Preferences, Dock. Uncheck the "Automatically hide and show the Dock" option.

I am also not sure about why your light turns up and down. You may want to check your Power settings. To do this, go to System Preferences, Energy Saver. Under the Battery tab, see if the "Automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep" box is checked. If so, uncheck it, or change the time period that your computer goes to sleep, by dragging the bars above.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
It also could be that you have Application windows set to that top right corner as well. I like the corner activation but it can get annoying. One tip - if you like hot corners but don't like accidental activation. In the Expose settings, when choosing what the corner does, hold down a modifier key or keys like cmd alt ctrl or any combination, while the pull down is active, then select your activity. That way to actually get Expose to work you have to hold down the modifier key and move the mouse to the corner. Low chance of accidentally starting.

What do you mean by windows disappear? Cmd-h causes windows to hide so you can't see them and they won't show on the dock. If you go to your Program Name menu (ie if you are using Safari there is a pulldown called Safari) -> Show All it should bring all programs that are open back. Clicking on the icon in the dock should do the same for individual programs. If you mean the icons themselves are disappearing - then your 7 year old may be pulling them off the dock. There are various programs to prevent icons being removed. I like itweakx iTweaX as it has a bunch of other controls as well.

It could also be you have a setting in Displays turned on called Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes. System Preferences -> Displays -> Display -> checkbox at the bottom. Try unchecking that and see if it helps with the light if the first suggestion didn't work.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 21,5
Thanks guys!

I have now (re)adjusted) the settings, and have de-activated the active corners. I'll see how it works, and hopefully the background lighting also stays on with out dimming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Thanks guys!

I have now (re)adjusted) the settings, and have de-activated the active corners. I'll see how it works, and hopefully the background lighting also stays on with out dimming.

You don't say what u have but if it is a Laptop then the screen dimming is a power saving feature so u can go into Sys Prefs > Energy Saver - if on Snow Leopard - and adjust there.

Click for full size

That pic is my iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
(I think my 7 year old hits all kinds of buttons - when playing with the Mac)
You could get into deep water here. There are a number of key combinations that do things you may not want.
Better to set a kids a standard account with parental controls and then u are in a better place. If u want to see one of the combinations try - Control/Option/Command/8 and the same to revert.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.