Filename problem when exporting from iPhoto

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air with Snow Leopard OS
I have reached the memory limit in iPhoto and am trying to back up my photos elsewhere prior to deletion from the iPhoto library. However, when I export the photos it only saves them under the original filename (e.g. IMG_1687) rather than a new name I may have given (e.g. DavePic). What's going on here? Can I do anything about it?

My version of iPhoto is 8.1.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Hello, welcome to the forums!

Under the iPhoto export panel in the "File Name" drop-down menu, change "Use filename" to "Use title"
J8O6g.Screenshot%202010-03-31%20at%208.09.56%20PM.png

That should hopefully export all your photos with the right filename.

C

chas_m

Also, what is the "memory limit" of iPhoto? You shouldn't be limited in any practical way other than by hard drive space.

I've heard iPhoto gets to be unbearably slow around the 250,000 photo mark but if you've got that many you should be using something beyond iPhoto.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air with Snow Leopard OS
Filename problem when exporting

Thanks for the replies.

@chas_m I'm using a MacBook Air. I guess the lightweight nature of the Air means the memory capacity is a bit more limited than some other models. I have been taking quite a lot of pictures (hundreds rather than dozens) and also video footage.

@McYukon What you describe works when you are exporting from within iPhoto, but there are a limited number of locations you can export to. I forgot to mention that I'm actually trying to upload photos into Google Documents. As mentioned, this is simply for the purposes of storing the photo files (I'm also backing up to a flash drive and to Online Backup, Computer Backup Software & Remote Backup ? Carbonite.com). This means that I'm working from within Google Docs and using "Upload". I guess this means I first need to export to my desktop first, which will retain the names I assign, and then when I'm in Google I upload from the desktop rather than the iPhoto library.

C

chas_m

Yes David, that would be the correct way to upload photos to Google Docs from iPhoto. Export them to Desktop, upload them, delete the copies you just made.

I wouldn't know, but I wonder if there isn't some way of semi-automating this process with an Automator script or Folder action?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.