• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

HFS repair and data Recovery

Reaction score
Hi all you youngsters. Granny here, trying to keep up with Grandkids and technology (LOL!) and getting out of my depth.

Late last night my desktop iMac, OS10 Tiger gave me "HFS volume needs repair"

I quickly backed up personal file to CDs. (I know, I know, ALWAYS backup regularly !!!!)

At 2 a.m. decided to get some sleep before continuing with e-mails, address book, photos, etc. Foolishly shut off computer!

When I powered up this a.m. it all went back to default settings.

Have been internet searching solutions to repair and recover data . (I live more than 2 hours drive to large town - not easy to pop into a computer shop)

Have correct OS disks to try restart/DU repair.

Not clear whether you do that first, then run data recovery software or vice versa???

And which downloadable recovery software is best???

Many thanks for your help and insights.

Gran

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 MDD 1.5 GHZ (OC) 1.25 GB Ubuntu and Leopard INTEL SUCK IT!!
First of all, when you say defaults, do you mean:
All your apps,files, etc. are gone (unlikely)
All of your apps have lost their set settings (likely)

Okay, first off, don't buy or get any of that software JUST yet. First thing to do is boot from the install disc and start disk utility to repair the volume. Second thing, how old is this iMac? If its pre-2006, its a PowerPC mac, if afterwards, its Intel/X86. I don't own an Intel mac, so what I tell you may be wrong: If its at least 3-4 years old and has continuous, steady use, your HDD may be on the way out, if so, I suggest you get everything off ASAP. Now, for diagnostic purposes, we need to know what type of iMac you have. Tiger running tells me its at least a PPC G3 with the max ram, but it could be an Intel as well. Go to Apple -> About this Mac? and tell us what it says.

From now onward, buy an external Hard disk and set it up to use time machine (Make sure its at least as large as your Mac OS X partition.)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You didn't happen to rename your home folder by chance did you?

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies.

No I didn't rename folder.

The iMac is an Intel, almost exactly (to the day) 4 years old. (Is it common for them to self destruct? I've been using Apples since the 1980s and some lasted 10 years or more!) Running OS10.4.11

The log in works, but the dock is along the bottom, not up the side where I had it.

The Mail Icon is there, but when I clicked on it, the 'set up your mail account' window came up. So guess it is the settings I've lost. But am hoping that the mailboxes are still floating around in there somewhere.

iPhoto has no photos in it and most other applications that came with the computer are there, but have none of my data in them, All open with "welcome" window. For example:

Address Book has no info in it.

Ditto for iTunes

PhotoShop Elements 4 opens normally, but I have no photos to try.

Appleworks 6 is working normally and still has my templates in it.

One game I installed years ago is still working.

Thoughts? Procedure suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Gran

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.