airport help

Reaction score
I need some help. I have an IMAc with a pc expansion card. It is about three years old and has always worked fine. For some reason I cannot connect to the internet on it for the last two weeks. It had worked fine but now is not. I have a linksys router, connects through airport wirelessly as always and is showing under network diagnostics that all is fine but an error message says it appears you can connect to the interenet but the site ... (it doesnt matter what the site, none work) is unable to connect. I have unplugged router, reset Safari, tried firefox and run diagnostics. Any help would really be appreciated. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
What happens if u connect the iMac with ethernet lead to router directly will it load pages then?

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I have not tried that as it is upstairs and wireless. There really isnt a close cable outlet. Is there another option? It recognizes the router etc. It just does not connect to any website. On network config, all looks ok except the last 2 in the list, internet and server. Both show red and failed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Next question has to be what event happened about two weeks ago - did u do an update to something about that time. Or did u have a hung computer and have to force a shutdown. Work back and that may give a clue as to where to look.

OP
B
Reaction score
managed to hook up roadrunner modem directly tocomputer but did not do anything. Still is saying it appears to have a working internet connection but internet and server are marked as failed. noupdate to my knowledge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Starting to look like the roadrunner has stopped running. Any chance you can take the Mac to a mates place to test it?

OP
B
Reaction score
I have a laptop that is working fine worelessly so I feel like it is something with the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hang on - u have a roadrunner modem and a Linksys router - are they connected in series and if so which one is doing the DHCP?

OP
B
Reaction score
out of the wall and into the roadrunner modem which shows all is fine and then a cable that looks like a phone cord going from modem to only spot available on linksys modem. What kind of settings on the airport could cause somethig like this? I feel lke it is just something simple but maybe not. Sure is frustrating. I appreciate your willingness to spend some of your valuable time to help. Thans a lot for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok - are you on DSL or Cable? What OS are u using and on what Hardware. And you talk about a Laptop - Mac or PC and is the plan to use both Laptop and desktop unit wirelessly? Is the Linksys providing the wireless network?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is the model of this Linksys Modem? Do you mean Linksys router? Linksys WiFi Access Point? Can you give us the model number of the Cable Modem and the Linksys?

OP
B
Reaction score
It is a linksys wireless router. MAc OS X , model imac 5. I have a roadrunner dsl cable modem plugged into the linksys wireless router and it has always worked fine. When I run network connect, it says I am connected to my router with no problems. Cmputer thinks I am connected properly to internet just says I must have typed in address wrong on website. Doesnt matter how I type addresses in, says same thing. I have the pc expansion card inside and would be happy to connect it that way if I have to on the pc side.

OP
B
Reaction score
linksys wireless-G mac id" 0014bf78e952
s/n cdfboe861306

motorola surfboard cable modem model sb5101

I have a pc laptop that works fine on internet fro anywhere in the house so I feel its an issue of the mac itself

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.