usb Modem & Internet Sharing

Reaction score
Hello, first time posting long time reader.

I'm in the process of brainstorming a home network without the use of a dsl or cable modem.
What I'm working with thus far is a usb modem (verizon 190 global) with a 17" (early 06) iMac core duo running osX 10.6.2.

My original thoughts were to obtain a mobile router designed to be used with a usb modem which would create a 'mobile hotspot' but having researched Apple's internet sharing options (preferences-->sharing-->internet) I am now beginning to think there is no need for the mobile router.

My objective would be to have an internet connection that could be shared with other computers wirelessly and idealistically be able to hardwire at least one device that is not wifi capable (within a living room media center).

My questions are: If I connect my Mac to the internet via the usb modem and enable internet sharing would this then transmit a wireless signal thus creating a wireless network that I could then tie in let's say an AE and for use of it's ethernet out connection and airtunes.

Also, could I then use the Mac's ethernet port as 'out' to hardwire a device to share the internet connection ?

I know the ethernet port on the AE can switch between in and out (as well as many of the Mobile Routers I've looked into) but will the Mac's do that as well ?

Reaction score
i think internet connection sharing only works on a hardwired device through the ethernet;
or maybe you could plug that into a wireless access point, that would be unique: isp==>modem==>laptop==>router==>rest of network
but i dont think the airport card can act as an access point

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
You can use the airport card in the later laptops for tethering so u would have
isp==>modem==>laptop==>another laptop or iPh

OP
H
Reaction score
Simply put ...

Thank you for the timely responses.

Maybe I am overstating what it is I am attempting to do so I am going to try to simplify my objective here.

I have a 2nd home where it would seem wasteful to add a DSL or cable isp line (I do no plan to have even a land line there actually).

I have a Verizon usb modem model umw 190 global and a spare 17" core duo iMac (not a macbook). It is the first generation intel iMac (early '06 model) with airport card < pci14e4,4312 >

I have successfully connected this iMac (not Mac book) to the internet via the verizon usb modem (I have also done this with my 24" aluminum iMac 3.06).

So what I am asking is:
Once the 17" iMac is set up at the 2nd home and connected to the internet via the verizon usb modem is it possible to use one or the other, Internet sharing wirelessly and/or to tether another unit to the 17" iMac using the ethernet port as a LAN (sharing the internet connection)

I know, depending on set up, the AE's ethernet port can be used as either a WAN or LAN as with many of the latest mobile routers.

I have both Macs here now and have tried to do this (connect one to the internet via usb modem and then share this connection with the other via ethernet [cat 6] cable) unsuccessfully but have noticed that the VZAccess manager software interface used with the usb modem has a telephone number and (obviously) it's own ip address which leads me to think I need to share this info with other devices just not sure how.

OP
H
Reaction score
Positive Update

Geesh ... think I may have suffered from my fingers moving faster than my mind here :-0

OK I am now typing this post from my 24" iMac that is connected to my 17" iMac (ethernet) that is connected to the internet via usb modem with internet sharing enabled. Very good news indeed. I will now not only not have to pay for a hardly used dsl line at the second home or obtain a mobile router (ie Cradlepoint seen here:
CTR500 Mobile Broadband Router | Cradlepoint Technology ).

Now I will test the wireless connectivity to be used with an airport express for example as well as guests with laptops. This should all allow me (hopefully) to have internet connection on my mac as well as stream movies to my media center etc ....
An initial concern is setting up security for the wireless internet access being shared ?

;

OP
H
Reaction score
No Go with the wireless internet sharing ?

OK so my results thus far are ..
Yes I am able to connect my 17" iMac to the internet via verizon usb modem (umw190) and then turn on 'internet sharing' (preferences-->internet sharing) and tether (ethernet) to another mac which will allow both to connect.

When trying to do this wirelessly I can see the network but not connect to it ??
Strange to me ?

In the end I may go with a mobile router (cradlepoint) in hopes of a better transmission of the signal and (for those who do not know it) to utilize apple's 'Back to my Mac' which requires UPNP (universal plug and play) on both ends.
I don't think there is a usb modem which has this technology built into it and even if there is I am limited to the verizon umw 190.

Any thoughts or knowledge regarding the achievement of a home network (including internet)/media center without the cost or installation of a DSL line would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Reaction score
Similar problem

I am trying to connect two laptops to the internet through my imac and it sounds like we are having similar problems. I could slave my laptops to the my imac as you describe but I want to do it wirelessly.

I connected my imac to my airport with an ethernet. My imac is directly connected to the internet with a verizon usb modem. I set up an airport network that supposedly had internet. I then had my laptops join the network, but they could not get internet signal.

I talked to a verizon tech support guy and he said this was possible to do, but it was not a verizon supported function. I talked to the apple care people and they said it was impossible unless you could plug in a modem in the ethernet.

Apple sells usb ethernet adapters. I could plug my usb modem into the ethernet adapter, and plug the modem into a female to female adapter. The only question is how do I get my verizon access manager software on the airport so that it can drive the modem? There has to be a way that I can get these computers all networked wirelessly without buying a my-fi hotspot. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.