• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Google needs to disappear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
For a very immediate reason. All day long, pages have been taking ages to load because they keep hanging on connecting to one of Google's curséd ad servers.

Isn't it good that everybody signed the whole Internet away to those idiots? That way when they have trouble with one thing, it stalls everything on the planet. So good. Just so good. Just remember something when you think that Google doesn't totally suck...

They really do :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
While I don't agree that Google needs to go, I do agree that it can be annoying when pages fail to load because it's taking forever to access the ad server

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While I don't agree that Google needs to go, I do agree that it can be annoying when pages fail to load because it's taking forever to access the ad server

But what would be so wrong with them disappearing? Oh sure, I'd lose my gmail addy. Oh well. I can live without it. But then we wouldn't have them pushing this cloud crap and maybe the computer world would forget about the Internet and get back to some real development.

What about google chrome on Mac. Is it any good?

It's decent enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What about google chrome on Mac. Is it any good?

It's ok on a Mac, much better on Windows

But what would be so wrong with them disappearing? Oh sure, I'd lose my gmail addy. Oh well. I can live without it. But then we wouldn't have them pushing this cloud crap and maybe the computer world would forget about the Internet and get back to some real development.

What would be wrong with the world's largest search engine and huge advertising venue to disappear? Oh I'm sure nothing is wrong with that, especially since the #2 guy would come in and take its place, repeating the cycle.

The Internet is here to stay, it's incredibly naive to think that our society can now function without it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Google aren't all bad.

+Pluses+
Their search engine is awesome.

Their net browser is pretty good. (Apart from the whole I feel my net safety/security is compromised while I use their browser). It's fast and rather stable.

Google Earth is very nifty, useful and cool. I just hope they are not logging my searches on it. I'll have to check the traffic to and from the App just to make sure.

Igoogle is cool. It's a really nice thing to have as a home page for your net browser. only one catch. Apple beat them to it with Dashboard And it's better. So it's only not a great plus if you own a Mac :).

Gmail is one of the best free email services out there.

-Minuses-
Google tries to log your everymove. Heck even when I type into the google search bar at the top right of my Firefox window I get tiny amounts of upload traffic to Google. I think all this snooping Google is doing makes me feel very unsafe using any of their servises on the net.

Their way of collecting revenue is very obtrusive and annoying.

Since they bought Youtube, every so often the video I watch there stops and I have to watch a 10 second ad before my video resumes. Like ***? More bloody advertising.

Their Google phone - Nexus One is a cheap iphone rip off.

Google Maps is alright, but for Australian mans (which I use a lot) Australian travel maps, street directory, driving directions & aerial photographs - Whereis.com is much better. And I'd assume other countries would have a better online maps service too.

Orkut, another Google thing is alright I guess. But it's nothing facebook, myspace don't already do 50 times better.

And if I remember any more I'll add them in later.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Internet is here to stay, it's incredibly naive to think that our society can now function without it.

I have no problem with it existing. I have a problem with it being Internet EVERYTHING nowadays. I've mentioned before that I don't have a lick of faith in the "future of Cloud computing" and honestly hope that the whole thing fails just like it failed every other time someone's tried to sell us on overpriced dumb terminals as being better than dedicated computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Cloud computing is not that good now only cause no one has found a way of making it work awesomely yet. I'm sure someone will and like say 20 years into the future when we all have lots more grey hairs, we'll all be saying - "That cloud computing concept I sure can't live without that".

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I will NOT put all my info and personal info into the cloud. The day that happens is the day I quit using the internet.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cloud computing is not that good now only cause no one has found a way of making it work awesomely yet. I'm sure someone will and like say 20 years into the future when we all have lots more grey hairs, we'll all be saying - "That cloud computing concept I sure can't live without that".

We'll see... but I'll still be keeping my hard disks, and that's where my files will stay :D They don't belong on a server (home or otherwise) except for backup.

P.S. Feel free to ignore the weird ravings of the crazy pregnant lady. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nah I actually agree with you. I think the cloud is the future. I'm still undecided if I like this future or not.
But as you said much more secure on your own personal computer. Less people would have potential access to your data. Yep I agree with you there. So your weird ravings made some sense. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I use Dogpile to search and it's always snappy. My dot Mac account takes care of my email and the online storage I never use. I'm no fan of Google - still, you get what you pay for with free stuff (gmail, online office apps, search stalking, etc...). If you don't like how their free stuff performs, then it might be time to use someone else's free stuff (or go buy some vendor's services).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Oddly enough, I agree with XJ... although, I am a fan of Google. Chrome for Mac is hot, and I'm glad that the Steve and Mr. Schmidt were caught out on a date together recently.

My gmail account works great through Apple Mail, and I <3 Chrome. Beats the pants off of Safari, to be honest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.