• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Sweet, I'll have to fill it out at lunch so I can submit my Mac specs that I spend most of my time in front of when I would be playing games ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Hopefully their games will run on the unibody C2D MBPs without overheating like windows tends to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well at least you won't have to choose between bootcamp or crossover/parallels anymore for steam games. You'll be able to play them native in OS X. And if anything, that'll bring down the system resources used to play the games. No need to emulate windows, and OS X is a more optimised system then windows is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Well at least you won't have to choose between bootcamp or crossover/parallels anymore for steam games. You'll be able to play them native in OS X. And if anything, that'll bring down the system resources used to play the games. No need to emulate windows, and OS X is a more optimised system then windows is.

Here's to hoping the code the games for OS X and don't use an emulator like EA.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Here's to hoping the code the games for OS X and don't use an emulator like EA.

From what I understand, the Source-engine games are native. Not that Cider-powered games run terribly, but there is obviously some overhead.

At least having the option to switch platforms on the fly is compelling. I don't game often on my MacBook Pro, but its nice to know that if I get stuck at work, I can play some of my older source games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Wont let me sign up .... Anyone else having trouble ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Allowed me to sign up. Not very optimistic about being accepted to the beta though.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Wont let me sign up .... Anyone else having trouble ???

I had trouble deciphering their lettering system... the best part is it says "prove your humanity," but you almost need a computer to read the freaking things. Anyway, signed up - hope I get in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4gb | 16gb white iPhone 3Gs | MacBook 2.1GHz, 1gb | 40gb AppleTV |
I just signed up, I couldn't remember my old account info. So I had to start a new one. It says to reset your account that you have to open the Steam Client, oops dont have one for mac yet. Guess I need to set up XP with boot camp again.

I hope I passed their humanity verification.... lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I got a 404 earlier and haven't tried since.

Yep same here, then when i verify my humanity, it scrolls to the top of the page with a cute little msg "You cannot sign up at this time please try again later" :(

Will keep trying

TM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Just did it and got an error at first, but went back to the original link, logged in and submitted my info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
Does this mean i can play Counter Strike on my MAC now?!?!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
upp my last comment...can somebody help me with this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
From what it seems, once it's released, Valve games will be available for OSX thru steam, but until it's actually out or someone can actually talk about it, it'll be hard to say what will and won't work :(

Frankly, if I can get L4D, L4D2 and Half Life, without crossover, I'd be VERY happy...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well it you download the BETA doesn't it work right away? or only some games n u have to wait untill the full software is out

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well it you download the BETA doesn't it work right away? or only some games n u have to wait untill the full software is out

Hard to say since beta candidates haven't been chosen yet ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
What exactly is steam? I've heard a lot about it but I'm a little sketchy on the details.

From what I read to me it is:
A place you can purchase games online you can download to your computer. SO you have the files on your computer. Also it is a online hub a little like battle.net where you can play online the games you just purchased from steam. As in steam has online servers for the games they are selling.

I'm pretty sure that is totally wrong. But can someone tell me exactly where I am wrong. I'd like to sign up for the beta, but only after I know exactly what I would be signing up to.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What exactly is steam? I've heard a lot about it but I'm a little sketchy on the details.

From what I read to me it is:
A place you can purchase games online you can download to your computer. SO you have the files on your computer. Also it is a online hub a little like battle.net where you can play online the games you just purchased from steam. As in steam has online servers for the games they are selling.

I'm pretty sure that is totally wrong. But can someone tell me exactly where I am wrong. I'd like to sign up for the beta, but only after I know exactly what I would be signing up to.

Your description is fairly apt, but it goes a bit farther.... Yes, it's an online marketplace for your games. It also manages your games and ensures they are up to date. I have even seen it suggest and defragment my game files to optimize them and remind me when my video drivers are out-of-date. Additionally, it handles all of your settings and provides a venue for backing everything up. It also provides a community for multi-player games.

Another nice thing is that it makes your games universally accessible. So, if you have 5 PCs and bought one game, that one game can be played on any one system at a time (depending on which one you sign into using your Steam credentials).

In short, this is one of the biggest things to happen to the Mac this year. Even though the library will be pretty limited at first (just Valve games, not that they aren't some of the best), this will almost certainly drive a lot more developers toward the Mac since it will ease distribution and support overall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.