Remote Disk Problem - Please Help!

Reaction score
Hi Mac-Forums! I'm new here, but was hoping some people could help shed light on a problem I'm having with Apple Remote Disk.

I'm using a MacBook Air (1st gen) and the optical drive from a Dell Inspiron 1720. I was using Remote Disk successfully with Vista 32-bit, but upgraded to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and I cannot get it to work now.

I've followed the install instructions from Apple's website (have the latest version 1.0) and sharing is enabled. I've tried turning off Windows firewall, but no dice. When I click on "Remote Disk" nothing at all shows up. They are connected to the same network... I don't know what gives. :Grimmace:

Any ideas??
Thanks in advance! :D

OP
E
Reaction score
Fixed it!!!

I finally found the solution here: Windows 7 and Mac OS X Sharing

These are steps for Vista, but work for Windows 7 as well:
1. In Vista, open the Control Panel
2. Switch to "Classic" view
3. Double-click Administration Tools
4. Double-click Local Security Policy
5. Or Secpol.msc
6. Expand "Local Policies" and select "Security Options"
7. Alternate : Type secpol.msc to get editor up then
8. Locate "Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level" in the list and double-click it.
9. Change the setting from "Send NTMLv2 response only" to "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session if negotiated"
10. Network Security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP Based (including secure RPC) Clients
11. Change the setting from "require 128 bit" to unchecked (No Minimum)
12. Click OK

I can now see my Dell's optical drive using Remote Disc from my MacBook Air!!!
I hope this helps someone else who's having the same problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.