iphone drawing too much power

Reaction score
Hey, so i plugged in my iPhone today and it pulled up a message saying that a USB device was drawing too much power and that the device is now disabled. So after this message popped up my computer nor any other means of charging my phone recognize the phone. I have no way of charging my phone any ideas?

Thanks for the help,
Willy

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Use the wall charger to charge it up..the iPhone should ask for the PC to provide whatever it can and charge with that..not sure why it's misbehaving..has it always done that?

Regards

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am "assuming" here that you're connecting to an off-the-shelf windows box. I have a Dell at work that I believe my iPhone was the just the last straw that caused the USB ports to die. I use several high end USB devices on that machine from digitizers to multiple printers . (I blame it on the cheapie motherboard they use.) I ended up adding a PCI USB card to that system. You can find them practically anywhere for $20 or less. Check out newegg and Amazon.

I bought this card from Amazon - $8, but only has 4 ports and I need 8 minimum. Added this hub. The combo has been going strong for 3 months now

OP
W
Reaction score
update

hey im using a macbook pro thats 2 months old. Wall chargers and car chargers don't work. thanks for the replies so far.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you can't charge the phone with any charger, then something is wrong with it. Time to call Apple or take it in.

Reaction score
Did you find a solution to usb drawing too much power error???

I'm having the same exact problem (usb drawing too much power) and I called apple care and they have no idea what is causing it. I'm not sure it its a problem with my Mac or with my 3G iphone!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Use a wall charger as was advised in the previous posts. If your iPhone has a problem (drawing too much charging current) you will need to take it on in to Apple for repair.

Regards.

Reaction score
Drawing too much power

IF you are getting this message you need to take it to the nearest Apple Store and have them take a look at it. This happened to me today and it will no longer charge on any charger, wall, car or on my Macbook Pro. I asked one of my inside man at Apple. He said that if you can get it to connect to your computer, try a restore and maybe it will work, but if not, take it in and have them look at it.

Reaction score
Same problem

I just had the same problem n freaked. But then i realised my daughter had chewed the cord and was slightly damaged. I plugged in another cord n is working fine now. have a look n see if theres any damage.

Reaction score
damaged cord

I just had the same problem n freaked. But then i realised my daughter had chewed the cord and was slightly damaged. I plugged in another cord n is working fine now. have a look n see if theres any damage.

Same thing for me. Daughter was chewing it yesterday and today I got the same message. When I swapped the cord it didn't have the same message, BUT it did say:

" iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone “Batya Wolfe’s iPhone”. Go to the Summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings."

I clicked ok and then clicked on my iPhone under "Devices" in iTunes and the sync started up as normal. No need to restore.

My slightly chewed cord seems to work fine, with the adapter, as a charger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
I'd me more concerned that my daughter was chewing on the cables of electrical devices, than the fact my iPhone has stopped charging.

Reaction score
It actually scared me to pieces and since I thought that I had smartly tucked it in back of the computer, I was truly surprised to see it in her mouth!!!
I hadn't shared that because it didn't seem relevant to the topic of the discussion! I am sure that we are all trying to guard our precious children from harm and I assume that anyone with issues such as this have learned and have taken more precautions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Use a wall charger as was advised in the previous posts. If your iPhone has a problem (drawing too much charging current) you will need to take it on in to Apple for repair.

Regards.

Yes, I think that the battery protection circuit kicks in when it detects over-volting. Either way it's not good.

Reaction score
My 2 cents

I had this problem today, and tried various cables, wall chargers and computers to get my iPhone to charge but nothing was happening.

A little back story first: Iphone 3g JB 5.1. My phone was plugged into an imac, and it gave me this message, it wasn´t running any apps it was just charging and then I got the error.

Now to the point: After trying many methods, I plugged it into the wall charger once more, with the same chinese cable I have always used, not sure if the wall adapter is legit, but the cable definitely isn´t. In frustration, I hard reset it about 5 to 6 times in a row, and it started to charge. Try continuous hard resets, frustration definitely optional and not recommended.

Might not be the same for all of you, but I hope it might help some of you!
Best of luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.